Houston Collie Rescue
Dog adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
P.O. Box 526
Stafford, TX 77497
Pets at Our Rescue Group:
Cities, Towns, and/or Counties We Serve:All States
About Our Rescue Group:THE MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of Houston Collie Rescue is to rescue Collies in need of new homes. To ensure that all necessary veterinary work, including spay or neuter, is completed, to perform temperament testing to ensure that the Collie is adoptable. The adoption process includes an application, interview, veterinary reference, and home check to place each Collie in the best possible permanent home.
Houston Collie Rescue is a non-profit charitable group comprised of volunteers who give of their time, ability and even their homes to help place Collies where they will be well cared for and loved. Our main goals are the protection of Collies already here, the prevention of further over-breeding, and the education of any Collie owner who requests it.
Houston Collie Rescue was established in response to the need to find good homes for Collies that are abandoned, lost, or mistreated, and that are in dire need of a new lease on life. We also help, in extreme emergencies, those who have to give up their dogs. We feel that the responsibility for caring for lost, neglected and abused Collies must rest with those who know and love the breed. HCR is made up of individuals who have many years of experience with this breed and understand the needs of the dogs. What better reward could there be than knowing that dozens of Collies which otherwise might have been put to sleep, left out to starve or to run loose in the streets to be crippled or killed in traffic, are instead currently in loving and caring homes!
All HCR Collies have received necessary medical treatment, have been spayed/neutered, vaccinated, treated for heartworms/hookworms, fleas and other parasites, and have been tagged with a Microchip recorded by name and rescue number in our files. Because of the often deplorable conditions they have come from; their intelligent, sensitive dispositions; double coats; and the Texas heat and humidity, our rescue Collies are required by adopters to be indoor dogs, except for exercise and pleasant days outside. Collies are dependable house pets. Upon the dog's adoption, we recommend keeping our tag on the collar. To further protect your beloved new Collie we urge you to always keep your Collie indoors or behind a locked gate, in a fenced yard when exercising, and on leash when walking. For increased pleasure in your Collies company, we strongly recommend obedience training, especially in classes where you both receive the guidance of professionals and the opportunity for the dog's continuing socialization. Most Collies are outstanding obedience dogs. As a rule, Collies are loving and devoted companions, they are gentle with children and with other animals. Some Collies are quiet while others can be barkers. A Collie will bond very closely with all family members and will reward a loving owner with years of unquestioning devotion and affection
POINTS TO REMEMBER
Potential Adopters: Must be 18 years of age, have verifiable identification (Driverís License or other picture ID), provide proof of authorization to have a pet if you rent your home.
Fees: The only fee involved is to help cover our medical expenses. $250.00 for dogs under age 10, $125 for senior dogs over age 10, and $275 for puppies under 12 months, $125 for Collie Mixes:. In order to defray our expenses for rehabilitating your Collie and to help the next rescue Collie the above applicable donation will be payable immediately by check, cash, or money order upon adoption and delivery of the adopted Collie.
No adoption is final until the paper work and fee are tendered, and no HCR dog will be left with the adopter until these requirements are taken care of. Some of these dogs require extra medical care or special rehabilitation, which will entail much greater expense; we do not require, but would appreciate an extra donation to help cover these extra expenses. The adoption fee may be paid by cash, check, or money order made out to Houston Collie Rescue. There will be a $25 fee for any returned check.
Spaying/Neutering: Any dog adopted from Houston Collie Rescue will have been spayed or neutered; Rescued Collies make marvelous friends, and placing them in a loving, supportive environment is the only goal we will pursue. If you would like to acquire a Collie with the idea of producing puppies, we would be happy to refer you to one of the breeders in the Houston Collie Club. Breeding Collies is a time-consuming and expensive endeavor, and one that should not be attempted without knowledge and understanding of this breed and of the many facets of breeding and nurturing puppies.
Contracts: All adopters of Rescue Dogs will be asked to sign a final Adoption Agreement. This contract is legal and binding. Please read it carefully.
Miscellaneous: We require you follow a regular inoculation program established by your veterinarian to guarantee your dog stays healthy, as well as monthly heartworm and flea preventative. You will receive a complete medical history on your Collie, as can be determined or documented. You must also have the dog licensed in accordance with the laws where you live. Since we do not know you personally, the information from the Adoption Application (which is requested of anyone seeking a rescue Collie) will help us to match up the right kind of Collie for your family. We place our Collies only in good, loving homes, and we screen prospective adopters thoroughly.
Adoption Process: The adoption application puts the adoptive home in the 'hat' for one of our rescues, but since our first concern is a good match between family and dog, we do not adopt on a 'first come' basis, but on the best match for all concerned. If your application is not selected for the Collie of your choice, rest assured there will be more rescues in our program for you to consider, and upon request we will also refer you to our sister rescue organizations around the state.
Please keep the "Terms of Adoption" information sheet for your reference. Please fill out the attached Adoption Application and mail it to us as soon as possible. Once we receive your Adoption Application and it has been approved, you will then be required to read and sign the "Adoption Agreement".
If at any time in the life of the dog the match does not work, or if for any reason the family must relinquish the dog, then the adoptive home returns the to Houston Collie Rescue. If one of our adopted Collies is being considered for euthanization by the family and their vet for any reason, Houston Collie Rescue must be contacted. If the adoptive home violates ANY section of the Program Description, the Adoption Application, or the Final Adoption Agreement, Houston Collie Rescue will take legal steps to reclaim the dog.
( Treasurer & Co-Ordinator)
Houston Collie Rescue
c/o Barbara Lewis, Vickey Willard
PO Box 526
Stafford, TX 77497-0526
Phone for Info: 281 564-6852 and 281 479-2167
Please take note of our new email address:
Thanks for supporting our efforts.
Also when mailing correspondence to this address, please sure to address all correspondence exactly as it is shown above.
This will ensure proper delivery to Houston Collie Rescue.
We are TARPA certified!!!! If you want to be sure you
are adopting from a reputable rescue, look for the
TARPA logo! Check out TARPA here.
Come Meet our Pets:All or dogs are in individual foster homes.
Our Adoption Process:HCR IS IN DESPERATE NEED OF FOSTER HOMES. Copy and paste the application into a word document, complete and email or mail to HCR.
FOSTER HOME APPLICATION
After you have read the description of our Foster Home Program, please complete the questions below, sign and
return to Houston Collie Rescue. Thank you for helping with this greatest of rescue needs.
City: ________________State: ____________, Zip _________
Home Phone: (_____)_______________
Work Phone: (_____)_______________
E-mail: _______________________________ Cell Phone:(_____)_______________
1) Do you live in a house?_____ Apartment?_____ Condo?_____ Trailer?_____ Do you rent?_____
If you rent, do you have the landlordís permission to keep a dog? __________
Do you have a yard? _____ Is it fenced? _____ Height: ______
What type of fencing? Chain: _____Wood: _____ Other: ___________
2) Is someone home during the day? _____ Please explain: ____________________
3) What provisions will be made for your foster Collie if no one is home during the day?
Loose inside: _____ In crate: _____ In fenced yard: _____
4) Where will the Foster Collie sleep? Please explain:______________________________
5) Please explain your responses below. During the last two years:
Have you lost a pet (not through death)? __________
Have you had a pet poisoned? __________
Have you had an animal killed by a vehicle? __________
Have you had an animal die due to disease? __________ If yes, what did the animal die of?
6) Do you have children at home? _____ Number:_____ Age(s): __________
7) Do you have other pets at home? _____ Number: _____ Ages(s): __________
8) If yes, are the pets neutered? __________
(If resident pets are not neutered, HCR dogs will not be placed in foster home.)
9) If yes, are the pets vaccinated and on heartworm preventative? __________
9A) Phone number and name of your Vet: _______________________________________________________
9B) What name are medical records listed under at the Vet's Office? __________________________________
10) Do your pets get along with other animals? __________
11) Houston Collie Rescue will provide greyhound collar, leash and all medical care, heartworm and parasite preventative. Are you prepared to assume the responsibilities of feeding, bathing, grooming and caring for your foster Collie, including emotional rehabilitation for a traumatized dog and crating for a dog going thru heartworm treatment? ____________
12) Will you follow all Veterinarian instructions provided and administer all prescription medications and Heartworm Preventative to your Foster Collie? __________
13) Are you prepared to keep your Foster Collie crated if going thru Heartworm treatment? __________
14) Are you prepared to assume the responsibilities of contacting Houston Collie Rescue Coordinators for any medical emergencies? (For example, if a dog is going thru Heartworm treatment and begins throwing up and becomes listless, this may be an emergency). __________
15) Will you let Houston Collie Rescue Coordinators know if you are planning to take your foster Collie out of town or state for family visits or recreation? __________
16) Though Houston Collie Rescue does not accept vicious dogs into our program, we do not know the histories of many of our rescues. Are you prepared to contact Houston Collie Rescue immediately if your Foster Collie bites anyone or seriously injures another pet? __________
17) Will you keep the dog confined in a fenced yard when let outdoors, walk/exercise the Foster Collie regularly and allow the dog indoors? __________
18) Do you understand that Collies are known for being "barkers"? __________
19) Do you intend on having any Collie de-barked?? __________
20) Do you understand that Collies can be shy and aloof with new people? __________
21) Do you understand that Houston Collie Rescue Coordinators may place your Foster Collie in an adoptive home? __________
22) Foster parents are encouraged to maintain an "Aunt" or "Uncle" relationship with the Collie in their care.
However, occasionally the foster parent and the Collie will bond so completely that adoption into this home is best for the Collie and family. Do you understand that if you wish to adopt your Foster Collie you must complete the Adoption Application & Adoption Agreement and pay the applicable adoption fee? ___________
23) Are you willing to allow a Houston Collie Rescue Coordinator to visit your home by appointment? _______________________________________________________________________________________
24) How did you hear about Houston Collie Rescue?
a. Internet Search ___________
b. Vet, Clinic, or Shelter Referral _____ Name: _____________________
c. Breeder ______ Name: ________________________
d. Dog/Obedience Club ______ Name: __________________
e. Another Rescue Group ______ Name: ________________
f. Friend/Neighbor ______
g. Other _____ Please explain: ___________________________________
I am in full agreement with Houston Collie Rescue Foster Care Responsibilities. By signing below I am attesting to the truthfulness of my answers.
H.C.R. Coordinator: _______________________________
Please return to:
Houston Collie Rescue Phone: 281-564-6852
c/o Vickey Willard 281-479-2167
PO Box 526
Stafford, TX 77497-0526 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are in the process of designing a form that will submit your answers to HCR via email. In the meantime you may cut and past this information to a Word Document or into your email, type in your responses and send it to us that way.
TERMS OF ADOPTION
Care of Our Rescues: Our dogs are adopted to loving homes who want a Collie for the intelligence, charm, and companionship they offer. As rescue Collies, our dogs have already been through enough heartache in their lives. Dogs adopted from Houston Collie Rescue will not be used for animal research or experiments, breeding, attack training, or dog fighting; they will not be tied up or chained, confined exclusively outdoors, abused, neglected, given to another owner, or abandoned to the streets. Houston Collie Rescue reserves the right to check on the status of our rescue Collie and to request updates, removing our rescue Collie if we discover these terms are violated by the adopter; there will be no refund of the donation.
Return: The adopted dog may be returned to Houston Collie Rescue within two weeks of the date of adoption for full refund of payment if the adopter is not satisfied with any aspect of the adoption. After two weeks from the above date, no refund will be given even if the dog is returned to Houston Collie Rescue.
Transfer of Ownership: The adopted dog may not be transferred to any other person for any reason. If the undersigned adopter is forced to relinquish custody of the dog at any time, said dog will be relinquished only to Houston Collie Rescue.
Refund: There will be no refund or reimbursement for any expenses incurred by the adopter for the adopted dog, even if it is returned to Houston Collie Rescue.
Health Program: The adopted dog will be cared for humanely, including adequate food, shelter, water, heartworm preventative, flea medication, and veterinary care and will be licensed in accordance with the laws in the jurisdiction in which he resides. The dog is to be exercised in a fenced yard or on a leash and shall NOT BE FREE TO ROAM THE STREETS.
Loss: If the adopted dog is lost or stolen, the adopter will notify Houston Collie Rescue immediately so we can use our resources to help locate the dog as soon as possible.
Reservation of Rights: Houston Collie Rescue reserves the right to enforce this contract in order to protect the welfare of the adopted dog. It is understood that Houston Collie Rescue may examine and may make inquiry about said dog at any time. If the terms and conditions of the Adoption Agreement are not upheld, Houston Collie Rescue reserves the right to terminate the Agreement and to reclaim the dog; there will be no refund of the donation.
Liability: If the dog develops behavioral or serious health problems in the new owner's care, the adopter may return the dog to us but will not hold Houston Collie Rescue responsible for such sudden changes.
Return Check Charge: There will be a $25.00 charge on all returned checks submitted by the adopter.
$250.00 for dogs under age 10, $125 for senior dogs over age 10, and $275 for puppies under 12 months, $125 for Collie Mixes:. In order to defray our expenses for rehabilitating your Collie and to help the next rescue Collie the above applicable donation will be payable immediately by check, cash, or money order upon adoption and delivery of the adopted Collie.
If you agree to the above-mentioned terms, please continue to our Adoption Application and fill out the online form that will be emailed directly to Houston Collie Rescue or you may click on the text version.
HOUSTON COLLIE RESCUE
For the best match between Collie and family, as well as to protect our dogs, Houston Collie Rescue screens our applicants carefully. Please read our Terms of Adoption and take the time to answer our questionnaire carefully and thoughtfully. Thank you for your interest in adopting a rescue Collie.
If married, Spouses Name: _________________________________________
City: ________________ State: _______ Zip: ________
What area of Houston ____________________
Home Phone: (_____)______________________
Work Phone: (_____)______________________
Name of Collie(s) that you are most interested in? __________________________________
Alternate Collie(s) that you may be interested in?? __________________________________
1) Have you ever owned a Collie? __________________________________
2) Do you still have that dog? Yes: ___ No: ___ M/F ____ Age: ____ Spayed/Neutered? Yes: ___ No: ___
If no, please explain: __________________________________________________________________________________
If you have never owned a Collie, have you done some research to learn about the breed? Yes: ___ No: ___
3) What happened to your last Collie? _____________________________________________________________________
4) Please explain your responses below. During the last two years:
a. Have you lost a pet (not through death)? __________________
b. Have you had one poisoned? __________________
c. Have you had an animal killed by a vehicle? __________________
d. Have you had an animal die due to disease? __________________ If yes, what did the animal die of? ____________________________________________________________________________________________
5) For what purpose do you want this Collie? ________________________________________________________
6) Do you have any other animals? Yes: ___ No: ___ If yes, list type, age, and sex: _______________________________
Are dogs spayed/neutered? Yes: ___ No: ___
Are cats spayed/neutered? Yes: ___ No: ___ If no, please explain:_____________________________________
7) Do you have children at home? Yes: ___ No: ___ If yes, Number: _______ Age(s): ___________________________
8) Do you live in a house? ___ Apartment? ___ Condo? ___Trailer? ___
9) Do you rent? ___ Own? ___
10) If you rent, do you have the landlord's permission to keep a dog? Yes: ___ No: ___ [Please attach a copy of the landlord's permission] If you rent, do you understand the dog must be exercised on a leash in a safe place? Yes: ___ No: ___
11) Do you have a yard? Yes: ___ No: ___ Is it fenced? Yes: ___ No: ___ Good Condition? Yes: ___ No: ___
What type of fencing? Chain ___ Wood ___ Height _____ Other: (please describe) _________________________________
If you have a doggy door, does it open only into the fenced yard? Yes: ___ No: ___
Size of Door? Small: ___ Med:___ Large:___
If you live in an apartment/town home, is there a safe place to walk/exercise the Collie? Yes: ___ No: ___
12) Is someone home during the day? Yes: ___ No: ___ Please explain: ____________________________________________
13) What provisions will be made for your Collie if nobody is home during the day?
Loose inside? ___ In crate? ___ In fenced yard? ___
14) What provisions will be made for your Collie in the case of an unforeseen emergency event? _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
15) Do you intend to keep the Collie primarily indoors ___ or outdoors ___?
16) Where will the Collie sleep? Please explain: ________________________
17) Do you have a sex preference? Yes: ___ No: ___ Male: ___ Female:___ Would you consider the opposite sex? Yes: ___ No: ___
18) Do you have a color preference? Yes: ___ No: ___ Color: __________________Second color choice: _______________
[Note: due to the popularity of Blue Merles, we do not see them often in rescue.]
19) What age range would you prefer? _____________ Would you consider an older Collie? Yes: ___ No: ___
If yes, to what age? ______
20) Would you consider a Collie-mix? Yes: ___ No: ___
21) Are other members of your household aware that you are considering adopting a Collie? Yes: ___ No: ___
Does everyone in your home want this Collie? Yes: ___ No: ___
22) Are you prepared to assume the financial responsibilities of caring for a Collie, including inoculations, heartworm preventative, veterinarian care, good quality food, licensing, etc.? Yes: ___ No: ___
Phone number and name of your Vet: (_______)___________________
What name are medical records listed under at the Vet's Office? __________________
23) Do you understand that the Collie you adopt must be kept on monthly heartworm and flea preventative? Yes: ___ No: ___
24) Are you planning to move in the near future? Yes: ___ No: ___
If yes, please explain: ______________________________________________________________________________
If yes, are you willing to give HCR the new address? Yes: ___ No: ___
25) Is anyone in your house allergic to animals? Yes: ___ No: ___ If yes, please explain how the allergy will be treated if you are bring in a Collie. __________________________________________________________________________________________
26) Are you familiar with the animal control regulations in your area? Yes: ___ No: ___
27) Is this Collie going to be a gift? Yes: ___ No: ___ If yes, for whom? _____________________________________________
If yes, does this person know he or she is getting a Collie? Yes: ___ No: ___
28) Do you understand that Collies are known for being "barkers"? Yes: ___ No: ___
29) Do you have plans to have any dog de-barked? Yes: ___ No: ___
30) Do you understand that Collies can be shy and aloof with new people? Yes___ No: ___
31) How will you transport a Collie? Car: ___ Truck: ___ Van: ___ Other: _________________________
32) Are you prepared to do the extra grooming a Collieís double coat requires? Yes: ___ No: ___
33) Do you understand that any rescue Collie that you may adopt through Houston Collie Rescue will be spayed/neutered?
Yes: ___ No: ___
34) When you need to discipline the Collie, how would you do it? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________
35) What circumstances, in your mind, justify Ďgiving upí a Collie? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________
36) Are you willing to allow a Houston Collie Rescue representative to visit your home by appointment? Yes: ___ No: ___
37) How did you hear about Houston Collie Rescue?
a. Internet Search _____
b. Vet, Clinic, Pet Store, or Shelter Referral _____________________
c. Name: __________________________________________________
d. Breeder _____ Name: _____________________________________
e. Dog/Obedience Club _____ Name: __________________________
f. Another Rescue Group _____ Name: _________________________
g. Friend/Neighbor _____
h. Other _____ (please explain) ______________________________
38) Do you accept that to defray our expenses for rehabilitating your Collie and to help the next rescue Collie there will be an adoption fee of $250.00 for dogs under age 10, $125 for senior dogs over age 10, and $275 for puppies under 12 months, $125 for Collie Mixes? The above applicable donation will be payable immediately by check, cash, or money order upon adoption and delivery of the adopted Collie. Yes: ___ No: ___
I am in full agreement with the Houston Collie Rescue Terms of Adoption (below). By signing below I am attesting to the truthfulness of my answers. I agree the adopted Collie shall not be kept exclusively outside. I understand that falsification of any of the above information will be grounds to disallow the adoption of a rescue Collie.
NOTE: If you are under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must also sign this application. Thank you for considering a dog from Houston Collie Rescue.
Houston Collie Rescue Phone: 281-564-6852 or 281-479-2167
c/o Vickey Willard
PO Box 526
Stafford, TX 77497-0526 E-Mail: email@example.com