Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
1. Investigating animal cruelty.
2. Picking up stray and unwanted animals for the safety of the animals and citizens.
3. Housing and caring for stray and unwanted animals at the shelter.
4. Promoting the adoption of animals to caring and responsible pet owners.
5. Enforcing leash laws and other state animal control laws.
6. Providing the humane euthanasia/disposal of unwanted stray animals.
7. Advocating the spay and neuter of all pets due to the overwhelming amount of homeless animals.
8. Educating the public about responsible pet ownership and animal welfare.
9. Assisting owners of lost pets.
10. Assisting owners of pets that they can no longer keep.
The Sanilac County Animal Shelter is located in a very rural area and only consists of 14 dog kennels and 6 cat cages. Although we try very hard, not all of our animals are placed and unfortunately have to be humanely euthanized due to limited space and funding. Two full time animal control officers are employed at Sanilac County Animal Control.
Monday - Friday from 9-10 AM & 2:00- 4:00 PM
We are short staffed and very busy at times. We try to be here at those times mentioned above, but sometimes it is impossible to be here during those hours due to overwhelming complaints and emergencies. So, please understand and be patient with us if we are not here. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
The shelter is located in Sandusky, just East of Yager Auto Parts on the South side of the road (E. Sanilac St.), directly behind the DPW Garages. The shelter is a small yellow brick building.
Dogs & Puppies are $60.00. Cats & Kittens are $50.00. All adopted pets must be spayed or neutered within 30 days of adoption by law. Once altered you are refunded $30.00.
PLEASE SPAY & NEUTER ALL OF YOUR PETS!
Why should you adopt?
Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! What is the difference between adopting a dog, adopting a cat, adopting a kitten or adopting a puppy versus getting dogs for sale, cats for sale, puppies for sale or kittens for sale from a dog breeder or a cat breeder? When someone is breeding puppies or breeding kittens, they are creating new dogs and cats who need homes. Some people are interested in a very specific breed of dog, cat, puppy or kitten and they think the only way to find that specific breed is to buy a dog for sale or buy a cat for sale from a puppy breeder or a kitten breeder. Yet animal shelters are filled with dogs and cats who must find homes. So rather than buying a dog or puppy for sale from a dog breeder or buying a cat or kitten for sale from a cat breeder, we encourage people to adopt a dog, adopt a cat, adopt a puppy or adopt a kitten at their local animal shelter, SPCA, humane society or pet rescue group.