Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
We cover the Cities of Lacey, Tumwater, Olympia, and unincorporated Thurston County.
What do we do?
- Adoption service for unclaimed or unwanted pets;
- 24-hour Lost Pet Hotline, (360) 352-2510, option 5;
- Animal welfare checks, including investigation of animal cruelty/neglect;
- Stray or lost pet pick-up;
- Emergency pet pick-up and stabilization;
- Pet licensing and identification;
- Inspection, monitoring and complaint resolution in area pet stores;
- Shelter, care and medical attention for all species of small, domestic homeless animals and some wildlife;
- Quarantine of animals that have bitten a person;
- Humane euthanasia of unwanted, injured, terminally ill, or elderly pets;
- Rental of humane traps for cats causing problems;
- Responsible-owner education for schools, youth groups, community groups, and other forums to promote concepts of responsible pet care;
- Volunteer program which provides volunteer opportunities within the shelter and around the community.
The shelter is located at 3120 Martin Way E, Olympia, 1/2 mile west of Lilly Rd. Animal Services can be easily reached by an Intercity Transit bus. Bus routes 60, 62A and 62B all drive by the shelter and there is a bus stop located in front of the shelter for convenient access.
Cats are $70 and dogs are $90, no matter the age, breed, or sex of the animal.
We sometimes have other type of pets available for adoption, such as rabbits, birds, guinea pigs and other small animals. Adoption fees vary, depending upon the animal
How do I adopt a pet?
Once you visit the shelter and select your pet, you will be asked to complete an adoption application. The application will include information about how you plan to care for your new friend, where he or she will live, what your expectations of the pet's behavior may be and whether pets already in your home are legally licensed.
If you do not own your home, we will need to contact the legal property owner to verify that you may have the pet you are interested in.
Certain animals will have specific adoption requirements in addition to the general requirements. These can include a fence check, no small kids, etc.
If your application is approved, you will be asked to complete several other forms including an adoption contract. This process takes approximately 30 minutes.
The pet you select will remain at the shelter for transport to the veterinarian for its spay/neuter surgery.
Why should you adopt?
Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! What is the difference between adopting a dog, adopting a cat, adopting a kitten or adopting a puppy versus getting dogs for sale, cats for sale, puppies for sale or kittens for sale from a dog breeder or a cat breeder? When someone is breeding puppies or breeding kittens, they are creating new dogs and cats who need homes. Some people are interested in a very specific breed of dog, cat, puppy or kitten and they think the only way to find that specific breed is to buy a dog for sale or buy a cat for sale from a puppy breeder or a kitten breeder. Yet animal shelters are filled with dogs and cats who must find homes. So rather than buying a dog or puppy for sale from a dog breeder or buying a cat or kitten for sale from a cat breeder, we encourage people to adopt a dog, adopt a cat, adopt a puppy or adopt a kitten at their local animal shelter, SPCA, humane society or pet rescue group.