proudly powered by the passionate pet lovers at
purina
Support Adoption and Rescue. Why go to a dog breeder, cat breeder or pet store to buy a dog or buy a cat when you can adopt?

Search and see photos of adoptable pets in the Hannibal, Missouri area

Adopt-a-Pet.com is the easiest way for you to search for a new pet in Hannibal, Missouri

Find a pet to adopt!

Dogs Cats Other
Zip / Postal  or by city (ex: Miami, FL)
Distance
Breed
Sex
Size
Color
Age
 
Go Fetch!
Contact this shelter/rescue group to see their pets for adoption.

Our Featured Hannibal, MO Partner:

Northeast Missouri Humane Society

Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.

P.O Box 205
2923 Warren Barrett Dr.
Hannibal, MO 63401
(573) 221-9222
Email:

Pets at Our Shelter:

Cities, Towns, and/or Counties We Serve:

We serve north east Missouri, the following counties and cities, Marion, Ralls, Lewis, Shelby , Monroe and the city of Hannibal.

About Our Shelter:

We currently have 40 kennels and 35 cat pens. We routinely have anywhere from 40 to 70 dogs and 35 to 50 cats. We have a staff of 4 full time employees and 2 part time. 30% of our funding comes from the city of Hannibal and the other 70% from donations and fundraisers. With our current funding we are just barely able to keep the shelter operating. Our annual intake of animals is now approaching 2,000. Regretfully we are a euthanizing shelter but last year we were able to save 50% of the animals that came into the shelter through reclaims, adoptions and rescues. This was above national average. Our main goal is to hopefully increase our funding and shelter size so that we may become a non-euthanizing shelter. Our staff is a dedicated group of young people that work for minnimum wage and care about the animals.

Our Adoption Process:

Our adoption fees are $85.00 for dogs and $55.00 for cats. All the animals leaving the shelter are spayed or nuetered, health checked and have all current vaccinations. Dogs are tested for either parvo or heartworms depending on age and cats are tested for feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus. We require an application to be filled out by the adopter and that they sign a contract. These can be sent by e-mail.

Our Adopted Pets:

We have helped lots of pets connect with loving and caring owners. Check out our adopted pets list!

Why should you adopt?

Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! What is the difference between adopting a dog, adopting a cat, adopting a kitten or adopting a puppy versus getting dogs for sale, cats for sale, puppies for sale or kittens for sale from a dog breeder or a cat breeder? When someone is breeding puppies or breeding kittens, they are creating new dogs and cats who need homes. Some people are interested in a very specific breed of dog, cat, puppy or kitten and they think the only way to find that specific breed is to buy a dog for sale or buy a cat for sale from a puppy breeder or a kitten breeder. Yet animal shelters are filled with dogs and cats who must find homes. So rather than buying a dog or puppy for sale from a dog breeder or buying a cat or kitten for sale from a cat breeder, we encourage people to adopt a dog, adopt a cat, adopt a puppy or adopt a kitten at their local animal shelter, SPCA, humane society or pet rescue group.