The Humane Society of Searcy
Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
112 Johnston Road
Searcy, AR 72143
Pets at Our Shelter:
Cities, Towns, and/or Counties We Serve:The City of Searcy, Arkansas
About Our Shelter:A BRIEF HISTORY
The Humane Society of Searcy (HSS) is an
organization that was founded in 1991 by a small group of dedicated animal lovers. The group's primary goal was the establishment of a local animal shelter, and they began an intensive fund raising campaign.
Joining forces with City of Searcy, their efforts were rewarded the following year: in November 1992, ground was broken for Shelter construction.
Since then the HSS has operated the Searcy Animal Shelter in partnership with the City of Searcy. The HSS provides caretakers and oversees the care, treatment and placement of the animals. The city provides maintenance of the building and grounds and support for a portion of the operational costs. The HSS works closely with the Searcy Police Department and Animal Control to take in the lost and abandoned animals of Searcy and to return them to their rightful owners.
In 2006 the Barkin’ Barn thrift store was opened to help with fundraising as more funds were needed for the increasing number of animals coming into the shelter. Special fundraising events held over the last several years have provided for an outside kennel structure, an exercise/adoption yard, and a small surgery room. As of June of 2011, all animals are spayed or neutered as part of the adoption process. The number of adoptions has steadily increased over the years and is on pace to set a new record in 2013 with close to 800 adoptions for the year as well as 350 animals returned to their owners.
The HSS appreciates the support and guidance of the City of Searcy, Mayors office, City Council, and Searcy Police Department.
What The Humane Society & Animal Shelter Does
• Provides a temporary home for lost, abandoned and owner turn in dogs and cats.
• Provides food, shelter and medical care for our animals.
• Cleans and maintains the Searcy Animal Shelter.
• Adopts out animals as per board policy.
• Staffs the Searcy Animal Shelter on a paid and volunteer basis.
• Works in conjunction with the Searcy Animal Control
• Promotes spay and neuter programs.
• Holds fundraising events to earn operating revenues.
• Offers private and corporate memberships to the public at a modest cost.
• Makes educational material available to schools, organizations and the general public.
Come Meet our Pets:Go north on Main Street all the way to Johnston Road. Turn Left and we are located on the right hand side of the road. We are open every day from 1 – 5 pm.
Humane Society # 268-3535
Animal Control # 279-1099