Pet adoption saves lives. Adopt a pet and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
We do not ship ferrets, nor do we breed.
We rescued a large number of ferrets over the years. Some loved, some abused, some from homes where the former owner had no clue on care, but purchased the animal on impulse. We are dedicated to finding loving, caring homes for every ferret.
All ferrets are spayed or neutered BEFORE adoption.
We turn no ferret away, no matter the health, age, or lack of training. Medical needs are met, and manners are taught. There are times when we are full and have a waiting list to be turned in.
We believe that educating the potential pet owner is one of the most crucial things a rescue organization can do. This applies to both ferret rescues and other animal organizations. An educated pet owner can provide a safer, happier, and healthier environment for their pet, thus making both the pet and themselves a good match.
Before you browse the rest of our site, ask yourself if you can open your heart the a rescue animal, whether it is ferret, cat, dog, bird or reptile. Can you love a fur angel that has had it's little heart broken? Can you give the pet a loving home for it's lifetime?
The rewards that await are countless, their love endless. Can you make the commitment?
We at Ferrets Unlimited are committed to finding caring, knowledgeable homes for the animals in our care. Some of them come to us from abusive or neglectful situations, and we want to make sure that never happens to them again. In order to better screen new homes, we require all potential adopters to complete the application and screening process.
1. Applicant must fill in an adoption application COMPLETELY. The more details you can give us, the better! Many times the adoption process takes longer because we have to contact an applicant to expand or explain something on their application. Please be as specific as possible (i.e.: when describing what you would feed your ferrets, please list specific foods, don't just state ferret food).
2. Applicants MUST be 18 or older. We cannot legally adopt to minors. We will sometimes consider adopting to younger people, but in these cases, the parent or guardian must also complete the application process, and the parent/guardian must be the legal adopter.
3. Applicant must be adopting the animal for himself or herself, as a pet. We will NOT adopt out animals as gifts for others, or to be used for research, zoos, etc. These are pet animals only.
4. Applicant must provide a veterinary reference. We need to know that you have a vet who is capable of caring for ferrets and their special needs.
5. Applicants must demonstrate a THOROUGH understanding of the needs of the animals they are intending to adopt. Please do the research FIRST! If you are not sure about something, please ask us. We are more than willing to work with you to help you learn more about the animal you want to adopt. As long as you are willing to work with us and to learn, we will be glad to adopt to you when we feel you are ready.
6. In some cases, we may require a home visit prior to final adoption approval.
7. Applicant must be able to provide financially for any animals they wish to adopt. Will we ask you how much you make? No, absolutely not! However, veterinary care for ferret's can be very costly. A health check and vaccinations usually run $100 depending on your vet. Remember, ferrets need to see the vet for a yearly checkup just like dogs and cats.
8. Adoptions are by appointment only.
9. We do NOT ship ferrets! We adopt to people in the Northern Ohio area that can personally visit our ferrets. People who live in neighboring states, within driving distance, may be considered if you provide a valid veterinary reference (we will check) and personal references.
Valid phone numbers for references are required.
1. Applicants must fill out and submit a completed application form.
2. We will review your application and contact you if we have any questions.
3. If all goes well, we will arrange an appointment for you to meet the ferret(s) you are interested in adopting.
4. Ferrets Unlimited charges an adoption fee for all ferrets. Fees are as follows: $75 for a single ferret, $125 for a bonded pair, $150 for a bonded triple.
Why should you adopt?
small animals can make wonderful pets, and rather than buying a small animal for sale or finding a small animal breeder, adopting a small animal from an animal shelter or rescue organization is the perfect way to add a small animal to your family. Keep in mind, there is a lot you will need to know when you provide a home for a small animal. You will need to learn what to feed them, how much exercise or attention your small animal needs, and many other important things about how to house and care for a small animal. There are different types of small animals including Chinchilla, Degu, Ferret, Gerbil, Guinea Pig, Hamster, Hedgehog, Mouse, Prairie Dog, Rat, Skunk, and Sugar Glider.
Pet adoption saves lives. Adopt a pet and you'll have a friend for life! Please consider a rescue pet before you buy a pet from a breeder or pet store. Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.