Animal Care Cent of St John
Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
P O Box 429
St John, VI 00831
Pets at Our Shelter:
Cities, Towns, and/or Counties We Serve:We serve the island of St John in the US Virgin Islands.
About Our Shelter:The Animal Care Center of St. John, Inc. (ACC) is a non-profit (501 (c) (3) ) organization whose mission is to provide for the humane treatment of animals on St. John and the promotion of their health and welfare. The Center is dedicated to providing a "safe haven" for abandoned and surrendered animals where proper medical treatment and high quality care will be dispersed by caring and trained
professionals, as well as, volunteers. It is a primary goal of the ACC to reunite lost animals with their owners and place animals, who have received our services, in acceptable homes through our adoption program. Our further goal is to control feral cat population utilizing a Trap Neuter Release Program ultimately returning feral felines into designated healthy environments at feeding stations across the island. We seek to increase visibility, awareness, and support within our community for programs to meet of the ever-changing needs of our animal population and educating the people of our community, particularly the children, as to the responsibilities of pet ownership, proper treatment and care for pets, and the need to develop other programs to create a healthier environment for all of the animals of St. John.
Donate to Our Shelter...www.stjacc.org/help.html
Come Meet our Pets:The shelter, located on South Shore Road on the right just past The Inn at Tamarind Court is open Tuesdays through Saturday afternoons. We're open in the morning, but that is really cleanup and feeding time. All dogsa re walked morning and evening - you can volunteer to help with that!
Our Adoption Process:1. When a potential adopter arrives, welcome them, and give them a quick tour. Let them know there is a non-refundable adoption fee.
Dogs, Puppies & Kittens $50 Cats (over 6 months) $25
2. Show them the type of animal they are interested in adopting. (cat, kitten, puppy or dog)
3. Once they have a specific animal in mind, bring them into the office, with that animal, close the door and allow them some get acquainted time away from other animals. Be sure to stay in the room with them and answer any questions about the animal. Please make the animal sound good---play up the positives, but if it has a particular character flaw do not lie or deny that. Be honest and if you are not familiar with the particular animal say so. Do not make anything up!
4. Once they have decided that they are interested, give them the “Adoption Application” to fill out. When they have completed the forms and signed them you are then ready to begin the adoption.
5. Ask if they have any questions or concerns and try and answers these as honestly and clearly as possible. Do not make up answers!
6. Give them handouts and adoption packages with information on pet care, animal health, safety and introducing their new pet to the family.
7. ALL cats/kittens must leave the shelter in a carrier. If they do not have one they may either purchase one of our card board ones for $10.00 or borrow a plastic one with a refundable deposit of $20.00. NO EXCEPTIONS!
8. ALL dogs must have a collar and leash when leaving the shelter, they may either purchase one from us or provide their own. The only exception would be a puppy or dog to small to wear a collar or unable to walk on a leash.
9. When everything is in place and animal is ready to be released have them read and sign our “Adoption Contract”.
10. Collect the adoption fee and give the new owner a receipt with the total amount of the adoption fee plus any other fees on it. Be sure to sign at the bottom of the receipt that you have collected the money.
11. Put money and copy of receipt in the “adoption fees” folder in the file cabinet.
12. Once all this is done, give the animal a kiss and wish everyone the very best!!
13. Ask them if they might like to volunteer an hour or two per week helping at the shelter and ask them to tell their friends about us.