Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
Dogs, Puppies & Kittens $50 Cats (over 6 months) $25
2. Show them the type of animal they are interested in adopting. (cat, kitten, puppy or dog)
3. Once they have a specific animal in mind, bring them into the office, with that animal, close the door and allow them some get acquainted time away from other animals. Be sure to stay in the room with them and answer any questions about the animal. Please make the animal sound good---play up the positives, but if it has a particular character flaw do not lie or deny that. Be honest and if you are not familiar with the particular animal say so. Do not make anything up!
4. Once they have decided that they are interested, give them the “Adoption Application” to fill out. When they have completed the forms and signed them you are then ready to begin the adoption.
5. Ask if they have any questions or concerns and try and answers these as honestly and clearly as possible. Do not make up answers!
6. Give them handouts and adoption packages with information on pet care, animal health, safety and introducing their new pet to the family.
7. ALL cats/kittens must leave the shelter in a carrier. If they do not have one they may either purchase one of our card board ones for $10.00 or borrow a plastic one with a refundable deposit of $20.00. NO EXCEPTIONS!
8. ALL dogs must have a collar and leash when leaving the shelter, they may either purchase one from us or provide their own. The only exception would be a puppy or dog to small to wear a collar or unable to walk on a leash.
9. When everything is in place and animal is ready to be released have them read and sign our “Adoption Contract”.
10. Collect the adoption fee and give the new owner a receipt with the total amount of the adoption fee plus any other fees on it. Be sure to sign at the bottom of the receipt that you have collected the money.
11. Put money and copy of receipt in the “adoption fees” folder in the file cabinet.
12. Once all this is done, give the animal a kiss and wish everyone the very best!!
13. Ask them if they might like to volunteer an hour or two per week helping at the shelter and ask them to tell their friends about us.
Why should you adopt?
Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! What is the difference between adopting a dog, adopting a cat, adopting a kitten or adopting a puppy versus getting dogs for sale, cats for sale, puppies for sale or kittens for sale from a dog breeder or a cat breeder? When someone is breeding puppies or breeding kittens, they are creating new dogs and cats who need homes. Some people are interested in a very specific breed of dog, cat, puppy or kitten and they think the only way to find that specific breed is to buy a dog for sale or buy a cat for sale from a puppy breeder or a kitten breeder. Yet animal shelters are filled with dogs and cats who must find homes. So rather than buying a dog or puppy for sale from a dog breeder or buying a cat or kitten for sale from a cat breeder, we encourage people to adopt a dog, adopt a cat, adopt a puppy or adopt a kitten at their local animal shelter, SPCA, humane society or pet rescue group.