Lawton-Comanche County Humane Society
Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
Po Box 3134
Lawton, OK 73502
Pets at Our Rescue Group:
Cities, Towns, and/or Counties We Serve:Lawton-Comanche County
About Our Rescue Group:The Humane Society of Lawton - Comanche County has received many calls from people who are under the impression that our organization is affiliated with the City Animal Shelter. Hence, we wish to clarify the mission, goals and objectives of our organization.
The Humane Society operates on tax-deductable donations, membership dues, and fundraisers. Our organization receives no public funds, and has no formal affiliation with the Lawton Animal Shelter. Our primary mission is to educate the public about the necessity of spaying and neutering their domestic pets, and to assist those individuals who are low income and have limited resources to spay and neuter their companion animals. We are NOT primarily a rescue organization because we do not own or operate a shelter. However, we do have some animals which are available for adoption, that are being kept in local foster homes. We require an adoption application to ensure that these animals are placed into good homes, and an adoption fee of $85.00 for cats and $100.00 for dogs, which goes to defray the expense of sterilization, vaccinations and fostering.
The City Animal Shelter euthanizes over 4300 cats and doges each year. These numbers should be of great concern to the citizens of Lawton because not only is it inhumane, but it is also a vast waste of taxpayer dollars. These unfortunate animals die because their owners do not have them spayed or neutered and abandon them without concern for the suffering that they will endure as they struggle to survive.
The Oklahoma Anti-Cruelty Statute, Title 21, part 7, Chapter 67, Bill 1685, clearly states that any animal abuse, mistreatment or negligence, is considered a felony and penalized by law accordingly. Isn't it ironic that we seldom hear about people convicted of animal cruelty, but there have been several instances of people fined and prosecuted for feeding abandoned and hungry animals?
Irresponsible pet owners are the ones that are responsible for this cruelty and negligence, and in the long run, both the animals and the taxpayers pay the price. The Humane Society of Lawton-Comanche County believes that spaying and neutering healthy animals is the obvious first step in the solution to the problem of the over population of unwanted pets in our community. The Humane Society is a small organization, which will continue to work towards a solution to the problem, but we can not solve the problem alone. It is also the responsibility of pet owners to do their part in helping to control the population by having their pet spayed or neutered.
Come Meet our Pets:By appt only. Please call 580-395-4523 or 580-695-0206
Our Adoption Process:HUMANE SOCIETY OF LAWTON, COMANCHE COUNTY
P. O. BOX 3134
LAWTON, OK 73502
1. I will provide the adopted cat (s) dog (s) with a good and safe home.
2. I will keep up with the petís yearly required shots and seek veterinary assistance in case of an illness or emergency.
3. I have no objection against a Humane Society of Lawton, Comanche County agent requesting a home visit prior to adoption, and coming to my home to check up on the adopted pet (s) after the adoption.
4. If unforeseen circumstances should occur, I agree to return the adopted pet to the Humane Society of Lawton, Comanche County.
5. The Humane Society of Lawton, Comanche County is strictly against de-clawing cats, and de-barking dogs. This type of surgery is considered extremely cruel, and renders the animal totally defenseless when faced with danger.
6. All the pets, which are on our adoption list, have already been neutered or spayed. They have a clean bill of health, and have had their initial rabies shot for adult pets or booster shot for pets under 6 months old. Kittens/puppies will require another booster shot within 3 months after adoption. The Humane Society of Lawton, Comanche County requests an adoption fee of $45.00 for cats and $60.00 for dogs, to defray the cost of neuter/spay shots, and fostering expenses.
Pet name(s):_________________________ Birth Date:_________________________
Do you rent?:______________________ Own?:________________________________
If you rent, does your landlord allow pets? Yes_______________ No_______________
Your landlordís name and telephone number:____________________________________
Are there children in your household?______________ Ages:___________________ ___
Your veterinarians name:___________________________________________________
If adopting a cat, will it be an indoor cat?: Yes______________ No_________________
If adopting a dog, do you have a fenced yard? Yes_____________ No_______________
Have you owned an animal previously? Yes_______________ No_______________
For how long?____________________________________________________________
What happened to the animal?_______________________________________________
What are your reasons for wanting to adopt this animal?___________________________
7. I declare that the information that I have provided in this application is correct. I further declare that I am financially and physically able to take care of this animal.
8. If a home visit reveals falsification of any facts on my part, the Humane Society has the right to refuse or nullify the adoption and reclaim the animal from the premises without reimbursement of the adoption donation.
9. Each year, the local animal shelter euthanizes over 4,300 cats & dogs, which have been abandoned or dumped by irresponsible pet owners. We strongly urge pet owners to neuter or spay their pets in order to avoid unwanted litters, and to reduce the pet overpopulation. Our objective goal is to eliminate the unnecessary slaughter of thousands of innocent creatures. Please help us support our worthy cause. We are a non-profit organization and contributions, which are tax exempt, are