Dog adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
We will adopt to no more then 2 hours from Ottawa, easier for follow ups and home visits for the adoption process that way.
We are able to rescue dogs in need and provide them with loving temporary care and find them well-matched carefully screened "furever homes".
We also serve as a resource to our community and all pet owners by providing education and information on responsible pet ownership. This includes the importance of spay/neuter, positive behavior training and good nutrition.
Genesis Dog Rescue is 100% spay/neuter before adoption. We do NOT make exceptions so please do not ask. If we have puppies available (which is rare), they will be available to go to an adoptive home with a contract stating their spay/neuter date, which must be kept, failure to do so, will result in immediate return of the adopted dog with no refund. (this is non negotiable) They will also have an increased adoption fee.
Genesis Dog Rescue's does not adopt any further then 2 hours from Ottawa. A home visit is absolutely required. If we have no one to do that home visit, we cannot adopt to that person. We have to visit and verify and counsel with each potential adopter. When we do the visits we often see something that needs to be addressed that the applicant might not think to mention. If an adoption doesn't "click" and the new home is far from the foster homes, it makes it extremely complicated and difficult to retrieve the animal and get him to either the original or another foster home.
Here is what you need to do... Submit an online adoption application. Once you submit the application, you will receive an email or a phone call from the volunteer, who will ask you any further information, that is required from the application, and will schedule a time with you to do a home visit, should your application be approved.
We verify personal and vet references that are given on your online adoption application. A home visit is scheduled for your family. A home visit is mandatory for all adopters. This will involve a rescue volunteer coming to your home and visiting with you. All family members and pets must be present at the time of the visit. If you refuse a home visit, your application will be declined. Once your home visit is completed, your application and home visit report will then be forwarded to the Board of Directors who will either approve or decline your application for adoption. We reserve the right to refuse any adoption. We will notify you of your adoption status We will require you to sign our adoption contract and pay an adoption fee but this can and will vary depending on the age of dog you are adopting. The adoption fee is listed in each dog's bio. Fees can and will increase for puppies due to the extra vet work that we must perform on them. This will help other dogs in need, just as the one you are adopting.
Adoption Information: These are a few things to remember when looking to adopt a dog from us. These are only a few of our requirements, not all of them:
· Be an adult with responsibility for maintaining a household (no students).
· Have current identification showing address and/or phone number.
· Have the knowledge and consent of all adults living in household.
· Be able to spend the time and money necessary to provide for the training, medical treatment and proper care of the pet.
· Have the resources for a non refundable adoption fee.
· Agree to provide the pet with an indoor home and be willing to consider him as a member of the family.
· Understand that all Genesis Dog Rescue's dogs are spayed/neutered, no exceptions.
· Understand that all pets in an adopter's home must be spayed/neutered, no exceptions.
· Understand that children's age restriction will be based on their exposure to and experience with the breed.
· Understand that we will not adopt any giant dogs to a home with children under 10 years of age. No exceptions.
· Place personal ID on the pet as soon as possible.
· Provide an environment for the animal that will keep him safe and secure.
· Understand that Genesis Dog Rescue's has the right to either deny or approve your adoption application without explanation.
A Few Points To Remember: You may not be contacted until there is a dog available that might be a good match for you. Every dog will not fit into every household. It is left to the discretion of the Board of Directors, whether to approve a placement.
We do not adopt out dogs to be given as gifts. If someone you know would like a dog, have that person fill out the application form. You could offer to pay the adoption fee if you would like it to be a "gift."
Why should you adopt?
Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! What is the difference between adopting a dog or puppy versus getting dogs for sale or puppies for sale from a dog breeder? When someone is breeding puppies, they are creating new dogs who need homes. Some people are interested in a very specific breed of dog or puppy and they think the only way to find that specific breed is to buy a dog for sale from a puppy breeder. Yet animal shelters are filled with dogs who must find homes. So rather than buying a dog or puppy for sale from a dog breeder, we encourage people to adopt a dog or adopt a puppy at their local animal shelter, SPCA, humane society or pet rescue group.