|Contact this shelter/rescue group to see their pets for adoption.|
Gentle Giants Draft Horse Rescue
Pet adoption saves lives. Adopt a pet and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
17250 Old Frederick Road
Mount Airy, MD 21771
Pets at Our Rescue Group:
Cities, Towns, and/or Counties We Serve:We adopt to a 6-hour drive radius of Mount Airy, MD.
About Our Rescue Group:Gentle Giants Draft Horse Rescue is a 501c3 tax deductible non-profit rescue located in Mount Airy, Maryland.
We are committed to saving draft horses from slaughter, abuse, and neglect; and find them adoptive homes as trail and schooling horses. Our horses are rescued from auctions where we are their last chance before being sold to slaughter. Our horses are chosen for their temperament, soundness, and usability. Once safely home, all horses are quarantined for a minimum of 21 days, during which we ride them extensively. All of our horses are thoroughly evaluated to aid in the best possible match for horse and rider. A successful partnership creates a bond of trust and friendship for both horse and rider, and it is our goal to find that match for every horse we save.
We can accommodate up to 60 rescues at a time. All horses are shown by appointment only. Our horses range in age and ability from young and competitive Sporthorses, to older quiet trailmounts! Some of our horses have special needs, but most just had an unfortunate run of bad luck and need a new chance at a loving home. Our efforts are supported solely by donations, adoption fees, and LOTS of volunteer sweat.
Donate to Our Rescue Group...
Come Meet our Pets:Because we are a volunteer-run organization, we do not have the staff to accommodate unexpected visitors so all horses must be shown by appointment only.
We are also often found at many local parades, draft horse shows, and horse expos in the Maryland area. Please check us out on facebook for the most up to date information on where we will be!
Our Adoption Process:1. You must call to schedule an appointment to meet and ride the horse that you are interested in adopting. We encourage adopters to take their time, as the interaction is an opportunity to observe the compatibility of both horse and rider. Please be certain you are committed to your appointment time, and are seriously interested in the horse you wish to meet. We are staffed by a very small volunteer base, all of which also work full-time and have families to maintain!
2. If the adopter and the horse are compatible, an Adoption Application must be completed and returned to Gentle Giants Draft Horse Rescue. Applications will not be accepted if the adopter has not been evaluated with the horse, or if the prospective adopter was not found suitable for the horse.
3. Once the Adoption Application has been received, Gentle Giants Draft Horse Rescue will contact the references provided and may schedule a visit to the facility where the horse will be kept. It is acceptable for an adopted horse to be boarded, providing the facilities and care are adequate.
4. A copy of the Adoption Agreement will be given to the Adoptive family to review. The terms of Adoption are explored in detail in this Agreement.
5. The Board of Directors will meet to determine the home most suitable for the needs of each individual horse and rider. We regret that we can not reserve a horse for visitation, and all applications for adoption will be considered on a first come, first serve basis.
6. Upon a final decision, the Adoption Agreement must be signed by both parties, and the Adoption Fee must be paid in full. Adoption Fees are non-refundable and facilitate the rescue and rehabilitation of future horses from slaughter. Adoption fees will not be returned, even in the event the horse is returned to Gentle Giants for re-adoption.