- Frequently Asked Questions about Choosing and Visiting Your Veterinarian
1. I just adopted my new pet. He seems healthy—do I still need to take him to the veterinarian right away? Yes! Taking your new pet (whether dog, cat, hamster, or any other living thing) to the veterinarian should be your first priority. This is especially true if you have other pets. It’s a good [...]
- Pet Insurance 102: What Pet Insurance Covers & Why Every Pet Deserves It
The following article has been provided courtesy of Petplan pet insurance, who is also offering an exclusive 10% discount on policies to Adopt-a-Pet.com supporters. To learn more visit Petplan. One in three pets pays an unexpected visit to the veterinarian each year.* No wonder pet insurance is on the rise! Pet insurance helps pet parents [...]
- Bite Like A Rattler, Sting Like A Bee… First-Aid Tips to Help Your Pet
One late summer morning, two Scottish Fold kittens were playfully exploring their fenced yard when Rudy caught Abigail off guard and bounded at her from behind the rose bushes. As Abby took a tumble landing dazed and confused, a bee buzzed passed her. The twosome, quickly distracted by this new found fun, attempted to play [...]
- Pet Insurance 101: How It Works, What to Look For and Why You Need It
The following article has been provided courtesy of Petplan pet insurance, who is also offering an exclusive 10% discount on policies to Adopt-a-Pet.com supporters. To learn more visit Petplan. Pets are increasingly part of the household (they are certainly the easiest to get along with!), and like the rest of our family, they need [...]
- The Happy Healthy Pet Guide
The following article has been provided courtesy of Petplan pet insurance, who is also offering an exclusive 10% discount on policies to Adopt-a-Pet.com supporters. To learn more visit Petplan. As a pet parent, taking care of four-legged friends is your number one priority—and keeping pets fed, watered, exercised and happy is just [...]
- Five tips to keeping your indoor cat happy
Solitary confinement in a windowless room punishes the occupant by a lack of interaction with the outside world. Caring cat people often worry that confining a cat to be an indoor-only pet is a similar type of punishment, but it doesn’t have to be! If you’re reading this article, we likely don’t have to tell [...]
- Video: Scooter the Neutered Cat
Hip spectacles. No testicles. Meet Scooter, the suave neutered cat. He’s making it his mission to educate cat lovers on the importance of spaying and neutering. Check out his video for some great wisdom. Plus, he’s adorable!
- Why do cats love catnip?
One of the great mysteries of life – why do cats love catnip? I am being a bit silly, of course, but so are most cats on catnip! In the photo you’ll see one of my foster kittens who happily jumped up on to the table to help me get an appropriate image to go [...]
- What’s it like to be a declawed kitten?
Imagine you’re a happy kitten. You play, run, jump, bat toys around, and when you’re all played out, you snuggle with your feline and human friends, kneading them with your paws like you did your mom when you were nursing on her. Life is good. Then one day you’re taken to the vet, where you go [...]
- What is the best age to spay or neuter?
What is the best age to fix a puppy or kitten? Ask ten people, and you may get ten different answers! Those of us in the animal sheltering and rescue world usually recommend early-age spay/neuter at 8 weeks of age, or as soon as possible after that. Promoting early-age spay neuter is part of the [...]