Bambi is special, in an “Oh WOW” kind of special way! She is not for everyone and she is not for a beginner.
Bambi shows signs of physical abuse, she is hand shy and will protect her human from all perceived threats. Even if those threats are simply in her mind or a vision she is seeing high in the sky. Yes, she will look up at the ceiling and bark and run. She has fought with the air and the air won. Very special treat to see this.
Typical for a Dachshund and those that love them are very well aware of this trait of protection, however this is a new level one must appreciate. We have worked hard to lessen this and she will respond to a firm no when she is trying to guard her human. Unless she does not feel like listening that day. One little trick I use is put my finger right behind her ear and press in, she is distracted from the other human and focuses on the pressure on her neck. Hey, when your ear drums are going out and you cannot have a conversation with her in the room. You get creative and it works.
This is the reason she will not be allowed to go to a home with children. Not willing to take the risk :) Bambi takes daily medication for her anxiety at around $40 a month.
Bambi is loving and incredibly loyal to her human. If she likes you. It is a hit or miss that takes less than 10 minutes upon meeting you. She will either let you pick her up and love on her or she will try to pull your pants down at the seam. While holding on to your pants she will make sounds only heard in Jurassic Park Movies. Ferocious and ominous sounds. The minute you kick your leg up and firmly stomp your foot down, she will run like a Fox on opening day! Much faster to warm up to a female than it is to a male. Our thoughts are the abuser was a male. She loves to play fetch and she loves to go for walks...
She is an odd little girl. She can lay on the couch in a dead sleep and wake up barking like a banshee running around the house like her tail is on fire. She then calm walks back to the couch and goes to sleep.
Her personal space is something she is very protective over. Some of the dogs she allows to lay next to her, others she tries to scream at them so loud they run for the hills or she will simply lunge at them. Never making tooth contact just a lot of Bravado to scare them off. Obviously this would end badly in a home with an aggressive or alpha dog. She is a loud mouth but when it comes to physical contact she will run and scream like a boiled chicken. All yap and no action. However it is difficult to get past the yap when you cannot hear yourself think. Loving Bambi is not easy but it is worth it!
If you are a more mature home that is savvy with a slightly bat shit crazy dog that loves and appreciates all the fun quirks she has go ahead and apply. If you think she will snap out of it with the right parents you are the ones that need meds. This girl needs a special home that understands a good Train wreck.
If you meet the above qualifications and you think you can be my perfect home, please continue reading----Do not send an e-mail unless you have read all the way to the bottom of this page.
If you meet the above qualifications and you think you can be my perfect home, please continue reading----Do not send an e-mail unless you have read all the way to the bottom of this Page
1. Go to our web site and fill out an application. Nothing will move forward until you do. http://carolina-loving-hound-rescue.com/Adoption_Application.php
2. We will give you a call within 7 Days after receiving a complete application, please do not serial e-mail us, we will work your application in the order it was received. We also work these applications between our paying jobs, taking care of our animals and families. Patience is the key!
3. Once we speak to you and feel you are a good fit, we will set up a meet and greet
4. Once we meet and do a home visit we can then and only then finalize an adoption. Every member of your household must be present for this meeting
5. We do adopt out of state and will do a home visit out of state as well
6. We will not put our dogs on mass transport or hand off transport to get to your home. .it is your responsibility to pick her up. We will make every effort to meet you part of the way but that is not always possible.
7. All animals in your house MUST be spayed/neutered unless you have medical documentation preventing you from doing so. NO EXCEPTIONS.
8. Unless you have outside working dogs we will not adopt to a home with outside dogs
9. Fence is required for me.
10. Must be 25 or above to adopt (exceptions may be made case by case)
If you have any additional questions please e-mail email@example.com
Your message has been sent to Carolina Loving Hound Rescue.
You'll receive a copy, too, at to help you keep track of which pets you've inquired about, and which shelters and rescues you've emailed.
NOTE: Some shelters have physical locations you can visit; some of these shelters may only have pets for a limited time, so please do not wait for a reply—just go visit the shelter! Other organizations are rescue groups run by busy volunteers who may take a while to reply. You can find information about the shelter or rescue group caring for this pet, and their adoption procedures, on the pet's details page on Adopt-a-Pet.com.