Lulu, spayed, 8 years old, 34.8 lb
In Feb.2014, under the request of a friend, a dedicated rescuer who is a mid-school teacher set out to look for a dog being described as skin and bone straying in the bushy area not far from her TNR cats\' feeding spot. The teacher didn't know that what she was about to discover would utterly shatter her heart...
It was a dilapidated factory site left abandoned where a black dog (Amigo) was chained in the frigid weather without food or water. The only shelter he had was a sheet of shaking plastic that could blow away anytime. The friendly dog obviously had been starved for a long time, his rib cage protrude from his skin. The second he smelled food from the bag the teacher was carrying, he stuck his head in the plastic bag gobbled up the pellet before the teacher could put it in the bowl.
The teacher was heartbroken and frustrated by what she saw. Realizing that aside from a full time teaching job, she was overwhelmed by dozens of rescue dogs and cats at home to take care of, there's no way she could take any of the desperate dogs home. Nonetheless with the approval of the factory family she began bringing up dog food and water after school everyday. She cleaned the cages, bought two big cages and aligned them together in the front yard where she secured with panels and sheets of plastic to keep out the heavy rain and cold; besides all 5 dogs were sheltered in the cages waiting for her to come everyday to feed, free them, take turns taking them to the vet for medical care.
Despite the physical and emotional suffering the Lulu's family endured the entire lives. All of them are very friendly and they know love . Old LuLu is a super sweet girl along with Amigo are the most social in the family. Unlike Amigo and Lulu who will wag their tails when they meet you, Lucky is calm but will not shy away from the unfamiliar. Ying Ying is timid at first, will slowly warm up; once she does she is full of enthusiasm and will follow you around and like to know what you are doing. It's understandable and sad that poor Duo Duo is the shy one given he was caged alone in horrific situation and had never been given any attention since he was born. Unlike the other four who come when called, he doesn't come when he is off leash, instead he follows the other 4 dogs around and willingly go in his cage after their free time.
The improvement this brave family have made over the 7 months is amazing and proved what love can do. Unfortunately they are facing a crisis that could be a tragic one as the whole area will be demolished in mid-October. For the Lulu's family, the past seven months is the beginning of their lives, the first time in their lives they are loved and someone cares. It'd be deeply sad if their story would be sealed with tragedy.
For Lucy’s before-rescue films, please go www.ahan.org.
1) Low, medium or high energy: medium.
2) Alpha or submissive: Submissive.
3) Does the dog gets along with other dogs: She is dog social, she befriends dogs at the park. However when she is at the property, she'll bark without aggression at passing dogs.
4) Does the dog gets along with cats? Unknown, but there have always been some stray cats around where Lulu lives her entire life and she is used to having them around.
5) Is the dog good with children? : Yes.
6) Is the dog good with strangers? On walks, she is accustomed to meeting strangers, very friendly being petted. However she barks at strangers passing by when chained.
7) Housetrained or not? : Currently Lulu is chained and will hold it until she is freed to relieve herself
8) Good walk on leash or not? : Yes. Lu-Lu is dog and people social. She likes to decide where she wants to explore today, and only come back after she is done exploring. Therefore it's suggested to off leash her in a secure and fenced area. She walks perfectly on the lead and likes to sniff around.
9) Bark a lot or seldom ? : Seldom, unless if someone\'s passing by or at the door.
10) Any basic training? No.
11) Is the dog afraid of man? No.
12) Does it like to chew or bark a lot when left along?: She was caged for years and has never been an indoor dog before. However she exhibits behavior like digging through trash for food which is likely a result of suffering from long time starvation before her rescue
13) How is the dog with new environment? :Pretty well. But Lu doesn’t like to be caged
14) Does the dog have food aggression with other dogs? : No.
15) Food aggression with people (is it ok when people touch his food when the dog is eating) ? No.
16) Has the dog ever bitten anyone? No.
17) She takes nicely to pills when you put the pill in her mouth
If you're interested in Lucy, please visit AHAN.org and search for Lucy. Thank you!
Your message has been sent to Asians For Humans, Animals & Nature.
You'll receive a copy, too, at to help you keep track of which pets you've inquired about, and which shelters and rescues you've emailed.
NOTE: Some shelters have physical locations you can visit; some of these shelters may only have pets for a limited time, so please do not wait for a reply—just go visit the shelter! Other organizations are rescue groups run by busy volunteers who may take a while to reply. You can find information about the shelter or rescue group caring for this pet, and their adoption procedures, on the pet's details page on Adopt-a-Pet.com.