2/16/2016 - Charlie is doing very well in his foster home. He went to the specialist yesterday and had his sutures removed. He is healing nicely. He was seen by the vet dentist/specialist and is scheduled for a dental on March 2. His teeth are in pretty rough shape...we don't think he will have any left;but won't know for sure until the dental is done as xrays will be done at that time.
2/3/16 - Charlie is beginning to show improvement! His IV's have been discontinued and his blood sugar is stable. Surgery will be checking on him tomorrow...the hope is that the drain will be removed. His surgery site looks to be healing well.
He does still have a feeding tube, but he is starting to eat a little bit with some coaxing.
He is more steady on his feet now!
They are looking at a possible discharge on Friday. He will more than likely be discharged with the feeding tube in...and if he eats well over that weekend, it may be removed the following Monday.
1/29/16 - Charlie was found in a yard yesterday and taken to a shelter.We were notified of him this morning and picked him up from the shelter. He has multiple bite wounds, bruised, shocky, He has what appears to be road rash on feet and rear and a very swollen neck. Dehydrated. Blood sugar very low. Our vet checked him thoroughly and referred him to Gulf Coast Veterinary Specialists in Houston where he has been admitted to ICU.
Charlie is in critical (but stable for now) condition. His blood sugar and blood pressure are unstable. He may have some underlying health issues and he is being evaluated for that. He is on IV fluids and antibiotics. We will update as we hear more about him .. and about his testing.
1/30/2016 - 11:30PM - Charlie had surgery tonight to explore his wounds and debride them. The surgeon called at 10 PM to let us know how things went. Poor Charlie had a very large area of necrosis on his neck. For now, it is closed up with a drain in it; but if the infection continues, he will lose more skin/tissue and that could present some real problems in terms of closing the wound. His antibiotics are being changed to something stronger until we get his infection under control. He will remain in ICU until he is physically stable and then would be moved to the surgery unit.
Your message has been sent to Yorkie Haven Rescue, Inc. - TX.
You'll receive a copy, too, at to help you keep track of which pets you've inquired about, and which shelters and rescues you've emailed.
NOTE: Some shelters have physical locations you can visit; some of these shelters may only have pets for a limited time, so please do not wait for a reply—just go visit the shelter! Other organizations are rescue groups run by busy volunteers who may take a while to reply. You can find information about the shelter or rescue group caring for this pet, and their adoption procedures, on the pet's details page on Adopt-a-Pet.com.