UPDATE: Nov 29, 2016
Before you even read this, please WATCH SPANKY’S NEW VIDEO so you’ll be able to picture some of the things you’ll read about here. Spanky is one of the smartest dogs we have. He can twirl to the left, twirl to the right, and jump through hoops—literally! And he is now learning to weave through walking legs!!! He loves working with our dog trainer Sigrid, and when it is just he and she in a room, he responds to her every request. They are good friends.
Spanky IS a “trickster” and an “athlete” and he needs a person who will love him to pieces and admire him as they teach him new things. He loves to please the people he loves. Just LOOK AT HIM! He is a VERY CUDDLY young man, very happy to fall asleep next to you as you pet his tight little belly. He’s even happier to install his heavy little body ON your lap.
Spanky, a 3 year old Staffordshire Bull Terrier that weighs 46 pounds, came to us just out his puppy stage after a VERY COLD winter. He and his dog brother and sister had been confined outdoors, neglected, and his brother actually FROZE to death! When Spanky and his sister arrived at our shelter they were SO HAPPY to get here. His sister, not as shy as Spanky, was adopted soon after we got her. Spanky, built like a stout little fire plug (he needs to lose a few pounds), wears a tight fitting, easy maintenance, soft BLUE BRINDLE coat over his well-muscled body and when he gets his 45 pounds in true strut mode, people stop to admire him and hearts flutter. No one has ever seen a dog that looks like him! He can run like the wind when he wants to, but he isn’t a high energy dog.
Because he’s been here for two years now, he’s become the mascot of our shelter. With this smile, he makes a good “front man” too. He was even featured on “The Bark” Magazine’s website BECAUSE of his smile!
- Spanky is SHORT, SQUAT, and he LOVES the people that he knows (though he is shy around new people).
- Spanky prefers not to be around small children, strangers, or noisy, chaotic situations or things.
- He rarely barks and is a nice, portable size.
- He walks well on a leash, sits for treats, and accepts them with a very soft mouth.
- He LOVES belly-rubs and pretty much any type of affection you want to give him.
- He knows and responds to many commands: DOWN, WAIT, SIT, TWIRL TO THE RIGHT, TWIRL TO THE LEFT, CATCH, LEAVE-IT, and he’s learning new words all the time.
- He loves working with Sigrid, our resident dog trainer, and responds very well to her consistent ways because he loves her and wants to please her!
- He is “a favorite” of nearly all of our “dog walkers” and he easily wins the hearts of all who know him.
- He is VERY CLEAN in his room…an indication that he’d be very easy to house train.
- If you sit on his bed with him, he’ll invite you to play with him and if you don’t, he’ll lay down next to you and cuddle in close for affection.
- Even though Spanky is shy around strangers, he moved right in for some good ole affection from Santa! He attempted to kiss Santa a few times, standing tall on his tippy-toes to get within kissing range.
Staffordshire Bull Terriers are a wonderful, unique, smart and loving breed of dog. Spanky’s “forever home” hasn’t yet found him but THAT is only because he is waiting for a smart person like YOU (who knows and loves bully breed type doges) to discover him. Whoever is lucky enough to adopt this little, loyal, fun, smart guy is going to have a lot of fun with him. He will study you closely to see if he can figure out what you want him to do because he is going to want to please you to the moon and back. That is just the kind of dog he is.
Spanky is not a fan of most other dogs either—he’s afraid of them. He wants and needs to be someone’s own personal “show man” and lap dog and he would probably do best as an only pet in a home where children don’t visit.
You can arrange to meet Spanky and spend some quality time with him, by calling our shelter and MAKING AN APPOINTMENT to do so. If you do meet him, you’ll be VERY IMPRESSED by the little guy and the way he struts his stuff. He could NOT be any cuter!
Please allow us to introduce you to this fabulous, though sometimes shy, cuddle dog! Our dog trainer Sigrid is a person you must talk with if you are interested in this wonderful dog. Fonda, at email@example.com can also answer some of your questions.
NOT GOOD WITH DOGS. NOT GOOD WITH KIDS.
VOLUNTEERS and DONATIONS NEEDED. Visit our website for more info http://nelsonspca.org
Your message has been sent to Humane Society/SPCA of Nelson County.
You'll receive a copy, too, at to help you keep track of which pets you've inquired about, and which shelters and rescues you've emailed.
NOTE: Some shelters have physical locations you can visit; some of these shelters may only have pets for a limited time, so please do not wait for a reply—just go visit the shelter! Other organizations are rescue groups run by busy volunteers who may take a while to reply. You can find information about the shelter or rescue group caring for this pet, and their adoption procedures, on the pet's details page on Adopt-a-Pet.com.