About Our Shelter...
The Ames Animal Shelter is a safe and humane place for the care of homeless, unwanted, lost, injured and many other animals, while owners and adopters are sought. At the Ames Animal Shelter we promise to love and care for the pets brought to us to the best of our abilities; we promise to make them as comfortable as possible in a difficult situation; we will work responsibly to maintain our 95%+ reclaim and adoption rate!
Animal Shelter Services include, but are not limited to:
• Responsible pet adoption programs
• Lost & found and wanted animal requests
• Seeking responsible owners
• Promotion of rabies vaccinations
• Promotion of alternatives to animal abandonment
• Promotion of spay/neuter
• Protective custody of animals
• Community education
The Ames Animal Shelter is a division of the Ames Police Department. We are charged with upholding and enforcing regulations (ordinances) regarding the treatment and control of animals in the city. Animal ordinances serve three purposes: 1) protection of people, 2) protection of property, and 3) protection of animals.
Animal Control means not only protecting people from the nuisance of roaming, uncontrolled animals, but also protecting pets and wild animals in their habitats.
Animal Control services include, but are not limited to:
• Animal Rescue
• Complaint Investigation
• Animal Cruelty Investigation
• Animal Quarantine
• Limited Wildlife Management
Our Adoption Process...
The Ames Animal Shelter believes in an adoption approach that considers important details for finding the right fit, such as a person's home, interests and lifestyle. We then match those with an animal's social, exercise and training needs.
Unlike some agencies “pass or fail” application procedures, we strive to match people and animals through education and discovery. We accomplish this through conversation to create an effective, pleasant adoption experience — and most important — to make lasting matches.
Each situation, adopter and animal requires a different approach. And while we reserve the right to refuse an adoption, we always make every effort to work with you to address concerns or find the most appropriate homeless animal.
Please plan on spending at least one hour for the adoption process — we’re confident that you’ll agree that this small investment of time will be well worth the countless hours of enjoyment that will result from finding “the perfect match.”
Requirements for Adoption
Before falling in love with one of our animals, please make sure you are aware of the following:
• Adopters must be at least 18 years old and present valid photo ID with proof of current address.
• We encourage or may require all household members to meet the new pet prior to adoption.
• If you have a dog and want to adopt another, please bring your current dog for a dog introduction.
• Written landlord approval is required or proof of home ownership may be required.
• While we always make every effort to work with you to address concerns or find the most appropriate companion animal, we do reserve the right to refuse an adoption.