About Our Shelter...
Serving San Diego County since 1880, the San Diego Humane Society and SPCA provides vital services to animals and people alike.
With campuses in San Diego, Escondido, and Oceanside, the San Diego Humane Society and SPCA's programs include:
• Sheltering and adopting animals.
• Investigating animal cruelty and neglect.
• Rescuing animals in emergency situations.
• Positive reinforcement behavior training through public training classes.
• Providing adult and youth education programs.
• Sharing the joy that animals can provide through pet-assisted therapy.
• In Escondido, San Marcos, Poway, Oceanside and Vista, we provide animal control and stray pet services.
• Plus much more!
The San Diego Humane Society and SPCA is an independent 501(c)(3) organization and is not affiliated with any other local, state, or national organization such as the Humane Society of the United States in Washington or the ASPCA in New York.
The San Diego Humane Society and SPCA is a private, nonprofit organization that receives no government funding, and is supported solely by contributions, grants, bequests, investments, proceeds from the Society's retail store, and small fees for services.
Our Adoption Process...
1. View available pets
Browse our website or visit the animals in person at our San Diego, Escondido or Oceanside Campuses, Adoption Center inside of the El Cajon or Oceanside Petco, or at one of our Mobile Adoptions events!
2. Meet the animals and an Adoption Counselor
Once you've selected an animal (or two!) that you're interested in adopting, you can spend time getting to know them in our Interaction Rooms or outdoor Play Yards. At our San Diego, Escondido and Oceanside Campuses, you'll have the opportunity to meet with one of our Adoption Counselors who are trained to help make the best match for you. To assist in this process, you are invited to fill out a "Save a Life" form either in advance of your visit on in person. Each pet has received a medical examination and/or a behavioral assessment to help determine the best home for that pet.
3. Complete the adoption
When you've found a great match, it's time to complete the adoption process! You'll have the opportunity to ask the Adoption Counselors questions about training and for tips on helping your new pet adjust to your home. If you'd like, we offer the service of introducing your new dog to your current dog. Just bring your dog with you if you intend on adopting that day and we'll be glad to help with the introductions.
If the pet has any medical conditions or behavioral issues we will arrange a pre-adoption consultation with one of our veterinarians or behavior trainers. Some pets may also require a post-adoption consultation to ensure the pet is adjusting well to his new home.
Please note: In order keep the stress levels in our animals as low as possible, dogs are not allowed in the adoptable animal viewing areas. Please bring a family member or friend to "dog sit" in the lobby while you stroll the adoption gallery and meet prospective pets.
We are proud to offer an Adoption Guarantee in case your adoption does not work as planned and you need to return your pet to San Diego Humane Society. Adoption Guarantee: Love your new pet…or let us know. We’ll make it right.
All adoption fees collected assist in the daily care and on-going needs of each animal admitted to the San Diego Humane Society. Adoption gift certificates are also available for purchase.
Depending on the type of animal, the fees may include spay/neuter, current vaccinations, permanent microchip identification, a certificate for a free veterinary exam, a certificate for 30 days of medical insurance from TruPanion, and a license if residing in Escondido, San Marcos, Poway, Oceanside and Vista.
• Adoption Superstars - $25 regardless age for dogs, puppies, cats, and kittens
• Senior Dogs and Cats (7 years old and up) - $25
• Dogs (7 months to under 7 years old) – $95
• Cats (7 months to under 7 years old) – $65
• Puppies (6 months and younger) - $195
• Kittens (6 months and younger) - $125
• Small Pets: Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chinchillas, Large birds, & Reptiles - $25
• Small birds & Rodents: Canaries, Parakeets, Finches, Mice, Rats, Hamsters - $5
• Livestock – fees vary based on species
• Senior Adoption Program (Adopter 55+) – $0 (Fee is waived) Read more about the program»
• Buddy Adoption (Adoption of a buddy at the same time or within one year of the first adoption):
o 2nd adult pet - $5
o 2nd kitten or puppy - 50% discount
• Military Pricing: 25% discount (with proof of active duty)
• Animal Welfare Partner fees – $0 (Adoption fee is waived)
• Independent 501c3 request fees: $50.00
The SDHS reserves the right to hold special animal adoption promotions wherein prices may be reduced or waived altogether. These promotional campaigns will be advertised to the general public and honored during the promotional dates only. Following special adoption campaigns, adoption pricing will revert to original pricing until further notice.