About Our Shelter...
Flagler Humane Society is a 501 (c)(3) corporation and has been in existence since 1980. We are Flagler County's only full service shelter taking in companion animals that have been abandoned, surrendered or in danger. We also are the Animal Control office for all of Flagler County except for Palm Coast. We do intake animals picked up by Palm Coast AC as well as the rest of Flagler County.
Our promise to every animal that comes through our doors is that we will give them the best possible opportunity to find a home through adoption, fostering, or transferring to a rescue group or other Shelter.
We do euthanize animals but only when there is not another option available to us or them. Most of our euthanasias are due to medical problems where it is the humane thing to do to end an animal's suffering or behavioral problems that mean that the animal is not adoptable.
Our Adoption Process...
FHS Adoption Procedure
• Adopter selects animal they would like to adopt and is a provided an “Adoption Profile” to complete.
• A copy of the driver’s license is taken and then a check of the address using www.flaglerpa.com is done to determine if residence is owned or a rental. If a renter landlord approval is necessary for a pet.
• A check of the national do not adopt list is NOW done using www.dnapets.org.
• Adoption Specialist overlooks the Adoption Profile. Note the following on the application:“Why do you want an animal?”, “Do you have a fence?”, “Time given for adjustment”, “Prior pet history”, “Current pet history and possibility of a meet & greet with any existing pets.”
• The Adoption Specialist discusses any red flags from the profile with potential adopter. Any questions from the adopter are answered at this time.
• If the adoption is for a cat, ask if the adopter has a carrier or will need to be purchasing a cardboard carrier. The fee will be included on the receipt with the adoption.
• If the adopter is approved, the adoption is completed in PetPoint and fees taken with a receipt generated.
• If adopter is a Palm Coast resident, complete & issue a Palm Coast License Tag then generate a receipt for the license.
• The adopter is provided the following paperwork: Copy of the Adoption Contract, Rabies Certificate and Tag Updated, Current Kennel Card, Free Vet Visit Handout, Microchip tag/sticker/paperwork, ShelterCare paperwork, Adoption Go Home Packet and a Bag of Science Diet Pet Food.
• The animal is brought to the adoption center and turned over to new owner!
Qualifications for an Animal to be Available for Adoption
Dogs: 1. OFF stray period, make sure NOT in protective custody, check with Operations Manager if you want to confirm these things. 2. Spayed or Neutered 3. Current Rabies Vaccination with certificate and tag (if over 3-4 months) 4. Current Annual Vaccinations 5. Has a Microchip 6. No Holds will be taken on puppies younger than 8 weeks.
Cats: 1. OFF stray period, protective custody, etc. 2. Spayed or Neutered (over 2 lbs) 3. Current Rabies Vaccination with certificate and tag (if over 3-4 months) 4. Current Annual Vaccinations 5. Has a Microchip 6. No Holds will be taken on kittens that are under 2 lbs. or younger than 8 weeks.