Hello! My name is Mango
I am in need of an experienced adopter, not good with kids, and good with birds.
Mango is a high-energy ~12 year old Blue and Gold Macaw. She needs an adopter who is confident with large birds and willing to work with her to increase her good skills. Mango enjoys time around other birds of her own size and would likely be a great addition to a home with another macaw. She eats a wonderful diet including pellets, fresh vegetables, fruit, and sprouts. Mango's favorites foods are sweet potato and walnuts. She will bathe in the shower or take a bath in her bowl when the vacuum is running, which becomes the perfect opportunity to help her out and give her a spray bath. Mango steps up, but needs a home that will work with her in a positive way to help her step up a bit more readily. When she doesn't want to step up, that offers a great opportunity to work on skills like flapping, wings up, and other tricks. Mango already knows wings up and flaps, which will help you gain her trust and give her positive reinforcement. Mango also loves to play fetch - she's the one who throws the ball and the humans fetch. She's looking forward to playing with you!
In addition to Mango, Phoenix Landing has other Macaws and many other birds of all sizes and species and for all levels of experience. We'd be happy to work with you to find your great bird match!
Help this Rescue Group by making a donation.
Rescue Group Info...
The Phoenix Landing Foundation (PL) is a non-profit all-volunteer organization. PL promotes and protects the welfare of parrots, especially those with an extensive lifespan. We provide for parrots of all types in need, and act as advocates for those without protection. Visit our website at http://www.phoenixlanding.org for more information. We also sponsor great educational seminars! All are welcome (please do not bring your birds or other pets). Most of PL's classes are free, although of course we always welcome donations.
You can find out about our upcoming Classes (where you can meet some of our adoptable birds) at our web site: http://www.phoenixlanding.org/events.html
- An Adoption Application
- A brief in-Home Visit with you and your family (for birds larger than a cockatiel)
- Attendance at an Intro class (recommended for all, required for birds larger than a cockatiel). For large birds (macaws, cockatoos, amazons, greys, eclectus, etc.) we also require an Advanced class.
- An Adoption Fee (for birds larger than a cockatiel) -- adoption fees vary, larger birds have higher fees
- Metro Washington DC (including MD, DC, most of VA, and some limited areas in DE and PA) [DC]
- Eastern panhandle of West Virginia [WV]
- North Carolina (a majority of the state, but especially the Asheville and Raleigh/Durham areas) [NC]
- South Carolina (Greenville area) [SC]
- Tennessee (Knoxville area) [TN]
Our pets are labeled with the [area] in which they reside, but, they can be moved to another region for a serious Adopter.