Ruff Ruff! My name is Sneaker - Only $25 adoption!
found a new home!
Plenty of my friends are looking for one too. Find a pet to adopt.
Other Pets at Shelter...
Sneaker - Only $25 adoption!'s Info...
|Breed:||Terrier (Unknown Type, Small)/Chihuahua Mix||Color:||Black - With Brown, Red, Golden, Orange Or Chestnut||Age:||Puppy|
|Size:||Small 25 lbs (11 kg) or less||Sex:||Female||ID#:||A425978|
This little sweetheart was saved off the euthanasia list at one of the kill shelters. She has a very sweet cuddly personality. She is a great companion dog, & wants to be with you & do whatever you are doing. This puppy is very friendly, & loves nothing more than to be played with or held, & will never turn down a good belly rub! She also loves grass & will happily roll around in it & has a grand 'ol time, LOL! She would do best with someone who could take her for daily walks for at least 30 minutes a day. She also needs an experienced dog owner who can continue to work with her. She is a TOTAL CUDDLE BUG! All this little sweetheart wants is to be with you & loved!
Age/Birthday: 7 months
Weight at last Vet visit: 11 lbs (Previous owner gave her up because they could no longer afford to feed her. She was very underweight, & we could see all her ribs when we got her. The foster family has helped her with that & has gotten her to the perfect weight)
This dog/puppy is currently learning:
- To go potty in a certain corner of the yard
- Mailman (to bark when the mail comes)
- Not to dash out the door
- Lay Down
- Ok (This is a command release)
- This way (when you are walking & change direction)
- Drop it
- Scooch (To move out of the way)
- Out (go out of the room)
- Go lay down
- Up High (to stand on their hind legs)
- Back up
- Outside? (if you say this & get a reaction, they need to go outside to go potty)
- Go potty
- To bark when s/he wants to come inside
- Good girl/boy
- Bad girl/boy
- Stand up
- Ready (alerts them you are about to throw something)
- Inside (to go in the crate)
(What each pet learns depends on the foster home they were placed in & how much time that foster has had to work with them)
Cats: She is great w/the cat in her foster home, & plays with him! :-)
Dogs: Shy at first, & growled. Previous owner did not socialize her with other dogs. The other dog in her foster home is about 40 lbs & much bigger than her. So it is understandable that she was scared at first. She is now friendly & playful with him :-). She does guard her food with other animals though. Current foster family is working with her on this. Keep in mind, she was starving when we got her. She had not eaten in awhile & we could see all of her ribs. So she tends to panic when she thinks another pet might get her food.
Men: Puppy is VERY friendly... She was scared for a minute or two at first, then got very comfortable. The man in the house is now her favorite person. She tends to get jealous when it comes to Rob. If he starts petting another of the animals, she chases them off. Current foster family is working on this with her.
Women: Sweet & loveable
Crate Trained: She is currently learning crate training at her foster home. She was given free reign of the house in her previous home.
House Trained: She was used to using a doggy door at her previous home, but was not listed as being potty trained. She is now on a schedule & learning to signal to go outside in her foster home.
Leash Trained: Previous owner never took her on walks :-( (poor thing). Foster family says she is eager to go on walks & tends to pull on the leash. They are working with her on this. This little puppy should be taken on more walks. Ideally she should be walked daily for about 30 minutes a day to get all her puppy energy out.
Car: Very nervous at first, but settled in after a few minutes
Other issues: Again, I will mention that she needs someone who is experienced with dogs & will be more firm with her than her foster family is to help her get over her issues.
- She cries when you leave her alone. This is common with dogs that have been shuffled around from home to home. They get worried that you are not coming back. This usually goes away after they have been with you awhile & learn that you will always come back to them. :-)
- She is always worried about getting enough to eat. Being starved at her previous home has obviously traumatized her. She steals food off plates and drinks off tables.
- If you are adopting a puppy, all puppies chew. This can be easily managed with rawhide bones or chew toys to direct their behavior to something that is acceptable to chew on, using bitter apple spray on the things they are not allowed to chew on, & crating your puppy when you are unable to monitor them.
Adoption fee is only $25 & includes:
- Spay/Neuter surgery
- Up to date on Vaccinations
- Harness *
- Other surprise goodies from Safe Haven
- Free office visit to Vet or 50% off any Optimum Wellness Plan
- Other coupons from Partners
- Available Paperwork: Spay/Neuter records, Vaccs records, Vet records, Micro records, Recommendation list, etc...
- Continued Support: Safe Haven will be there for the lifetime of your new adopted pet. If you ever have questions or concerns, we will always be there to help. Our goal is for you & your pet to live happily ever after!
If you are interested in adopting this pet, you must be willing to come to Phoenix, AZ to meet them.
Please e-mail for an application
After we receive your application, we will contact you so you can meet him/her.
ADOPTING A CAT OR DOG IS UP TO A 20 YEAR COMMITMENT! THEY ARE NOT OBJECTS THAT YOU CAN GET RID OF WHEN THEY BECOME INCONVENIENT. THEY ARE INNOCENT LIVING, BREATHING ANIMALS WITH FEELINGS THAT DEPEND ON YOU TO TAKE CARE OF THEM. IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO TAKE CARE OF, LOVE, & PAY FOR EVERYTHING THIS PET NEEDS FOR UP TO 20 YEARS, THEN PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR AN APPLICATION.
* Safe Haven STRONGLY believes that collars should only be used as decoration. A dog can slip out of collar. Which becomes a problem if your dog gets lost, or you are trying to restrain your dog, & it comes off. Also, attaching a leash to a collar puts pressure on the neck, which is one of the most sensitive areas of the body, & could hurt them. For these reasons, Safe Haven includes a harness with every dog adoption to ensure the safety of the dog, as a harness is more expensive than a collar & some adopters will not buy them for this reason. A harness distributes the weight on the chest & shoulders. It also has a handle on the back that you can grab if need be, without hurting your pet (EX: Dog falls off your boat, just grab the handle & pull your pet back in with no harm done. With a collar, you would have to strangle your dog when pulling your dog in). Also a dog cannot slip out of a harness, so it is much easier to restrain them & they will never loose their ID if they get lost.
If you need harnesses for your other dogs, additional harnesses can be purchased for a reduced price:
$5 for small
$6 for medium
$7 for large
No tax is charged
Rescue Group Info...
Safe Haven Animal Rescue of AZ is a small non-profit, no-kill animal rescue. We house all the pets through foster volunteers in a safe, loving home environment while they wait to be adopted.
Safe Havens goals are to save these pets from certain death by focusing on taking pets off the euthanasia list at kill shelters. We also take in owner surrenders if we have the room.
We stop taking in new pets in May, work on getting the remaining pets adopted, take a much needed summer break, then start taking in new pets again in September.
Safe Haven also plans to work to get the laws changed in AZ to stop cruelty, & so that overpopulation is never again a reason that an animal is killed.
Safe Haven was started because Maricopa County has the second highest kill rate in the whole country for killing sweet, loving, adoptable pets for no other reason than pet overpopulation. With rates increasing as the economy drops. We could no longer stand by & watch!
*******We DESPERATELY need fosters for dogs & cats, (puppies & kittens too)!!! You can pick what type you want to foster, & tell us exactly what you want. You can take breaks in between your fosters for as long as you want. All we ask is that if you agree to foster, that you keep that pet until it is adopted. We will accommodate you any way we can. Safe Haven pays for all medical, & we can pay for the food too. With the recession, Maricopa County is getting animal turn-ins at record breaking numbers. The more fosters we can get, the more pets we can pull off the euthanasia list. If you are interested in fostering, please e-mail for our foster form. In it, you can tell us exactly what you want. Fosters will be chosen for you according to your answers. Thanks! *******
We are open everyday except Saturday, in order to honor the Sabbath. You must first fill out an application before setting up a meet & greet.
Just e-mail for an application. A Safe Haven representative will contact you to set up a meeting so you can meet the pet you are interested in.
Safe Haven Animal Rescue of AZ is based in Phoenix, but we have fosters families in all of Maricopa County in AZ (Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, Glendale, etc...)