Fun Things to Do With Your Dog in Atlanta
Looking for things to do with your new canine companion in the Atlanta area? Meet other local humans and canines at Piedmont Dog Park. Fido can enjoy off-leash playtime at this nearly three-acre park featuring separate areas for large and small dogs, trails, benches, and restrooms. Grab a cup of coffee or a bite to eat at ParkGrounds while your dog has some fun in the adjacent, fully-fenced dog park.
Host a welcome home party for your pup at the Taj Ma-Hound or spoil her with a membership in the treat of the month club. Themed cookies, doggie doughnuts, and a variety of pawstries are sure to thrill your new arrival. After bringing your new best friend home, show her off to friends and family with a photo shoot from Furry Paws Pet Photography. Continue to bond with your pup by introducing her to the tradition of Braves baseball during the Atlanta Braves Bark in the Park events throughout the year. If you plan to use the MARTA (Atlanta's subway system) with your dog or puppy be sure to keep the pet confinded to a cage. As for hotels, we found this website about hotels near MARTA stations handy for finding pet friendly hotels near MARTA stations.
You will find many pet businesses in Atlanta offering everything from grooming to training to pet sitting and more. One of the most popular pet businesses is City Dog Market, featuring all-natural, organic food and treats, earth-friendly toys, a self-serve dog wash, and frequent events for Atlanta pet parents. For pampering, many pet parents take their pooches to Glamour Paws for salon and spa services as well as boutique pet products. For more ideas on things to do with your dog in the Atlanta area, visit the Dog Owner’s Guide to Atlanta on BringFido.com.
Atlanta Dog Rescues & Shelters
The Top 5 Reasons to Adopt, Rather than Buy a Dog or Puppy for Sale in Atlanta
- Finding the Best Match - Luckily, when you decide you want to add a furry member to your family, you have many dogs to choose from. Dogs and puppies of different breeds come with genetic tendencies that vary between breeds. More importantly, they also have distinct personalities, as each is an individual! It is common for rescuers and animal shelter staff and volunteers to already know the personality and tendencies of many of their dogs and puppies. This means they can better match up your requirements and lifestyle with the ideal dog or puppy. When searching for a new dog or puppy in Atlanta, consider your lifestyle first. Answer yourself these questions:
- Do you have time to housetrain a puppy and teach them the rules of the house?
- Can you provide adequate exercise for an active dog, or one who needs mental stimulation and lots of interaction?
- Will your new four-legged friend have other pets as buddies around the house?
- Is it critical that you find a dog who is comfortable with children?
- Purebred or Fabulous Mixed-Breed: Shelters Have Them All! - Looking for a specific type of dog or puppy? It is estimated that 30% of all shelter animals are purebred. There are also large numbers of “breed-rescue” organizations specifically devoted to rescuing and adopting out a particular breed. On the other hand, you can find your own one-of-a-kind, amazing mixed-breed dog in a shelter. We love those fabulous mutts! Due to a larger gene pool to draw from, often mixed-breed dogs have fewer behavioral problems or health issues, and can even live longer than purebred dogs. In short, whatever you’re looking for you can find at your local shelter or rescue group in Atlanta, and right here on Adopt-a-Pet.com.
- Adult Adoption = Less Stress - Adopting an adult dog has many advantages. Adult dogs in shelters have often already been in homes, and may already be housebroken and obedience-trained. Also, since adult dogs’ personalities are already established, it is easy to tell if they are good with children, or familiar and comfortable with other pets. One thing is certain; adult dogs require less attention and less work than puppies do. Best of all, any rescued dog will be forever grateful you saved their life.
- Be a Hero - Adoption helps save lives! One dog or puppy adopted in Atlanta paves the way for another one to be saved. When you choose to adopt, you’re an instant hero.
- Adoption is MORE AFFORDABLE - Typically, adoption fees are much less than you’d pay for a dog or puppy for sale at a pet store, or even a breeder, in Atlanta. Adopting is especially a great deal because usually rescued dogs and puppies have already been to the veterinarian for a check-up, had a round of vaccinations, and have been spayed or neutered. It all adds up, but when you choose pet adoption you are paying less for a dog or puppy who is just as perfect as one you’d find for sale!
Some Atlanta Dog and Puppy Rescues
Below you'll find many Atlanta focused rescue organizations. This is not a complete list! If you are a Atlanta focused rescue and would like to be included, please sign up for an Adopt-a-Pet.com account here, then submit your request using the Contact Us link after you login to your Adopt-a-Pet.com rescue or shelter account. Thank you!