Over 3 million potential adopters use Adopt-a-Pet.com each
month, and they could be seeing your shelter's or rescue's pets too! It
takes just 3 easy steps to open a free account...
1: Read & Agree to our Rules (below).
Step 2: Fill out the Sign-Up
Step 3: Read your confirmation
email from Laurie, our Director of Adoption Services. She may ask for your adoption
paperwork, or information to setup AutoUploading from your software.
Then you'll be ready to add your pets!
You can choose if the pets you list on Adopt-a-Pet.com appear automatically on our high-traffic partner websites too: AllPaws, Dog.com, MightyDog.com, Overstock, PetHarbor (some restrictions), Petco Foundation, PetSmart Charities, ClassifiedAds.com, the LikeThat Pets App, Joyful Pets, Petstablished, and PawMyGosh.com.
If you are a shelter or rescue and have questions about Adopt-a-Pet.com or
signing up, please email Jennifer, our Director of Shelter Outreach, at
You can read testimonials from some of the many thousands of shelters & rescues already using the Adopt-a-Pet.com service to find their pets homes.
Step 1 of 3: Rules for using our service.
We are happy to offer Adopt-a-Pet.com
to legitimate animal shelters, humane
societies, SPCAs and animal rescue organizations as a free service. You are
all heroes for homeless companion animals, but we do require that you abide
by the following terms and conditions for use our service. Many purrs
for your cooperation.
- By having pet listings on our site, we are promoting your pets and organization in many ways. We request that in return, if possible, you place a link to Adopt-a-Pet.com on your own website. This helps search engines direct people to our site so they can find a pet to adopt near them. You can find special linking graphics here.
don't require 501 (c) (3) non-profit status of organizations that list pets with
us. However, you must be a legitimate rescue organization and not engaging in
activities counter-productive to the cause of animal rescue such as breeding
pets, encouraging the public to breed pets, or selling pets for profit. You must
be in possession of any local or state-required permits necessary for your operations.
You must not have any pending or confirmed animal control or criminal
citations or violations.
- While we admire and applaud all organizations that help animals,
Adopt-a-Pet.com's specific mission is to help companion animals waiting to
be adopted. To that end, only animal shelters and rescues whose
primary purpose is to adopt out pets may be listed on Adopt-a-Pet.com.
keep your pet listings on our site current and remove listings of pets that are
no longer for adoption.
- Please respond to all pet inquiries made by the public
within a reasonable time period. We kindly ask you to treat members of the
public, especially those who find you through Adopt-a-Pet.com,
in a courteous fashion. Rudeness hurts the cause of pet adoptions and
sends potential adopters to breeders and pet stores. GRRR... So we
cannot stress this request enough. If you get more inquiries than you
can respond to, or if you can't respond to certain inquiries at all
(out of state, for example), please have your voice mail or e-mail
automatically give the public this information so they do not expect
to hear back from you.
- Adopt-a-Pet.com is a family-friendly site. All pet postings and shelter
information viewable by the public must be suitable for people of all ages.
No profanity or anything else unsuitable for children is allowed. We want
to make sure that pet adoption is perceived as a fun, positive thing for
- Only pets that are (or will soon be) available for adoption may be posted on Adopt-a-Pet.com. Please do not post missing or deceased pets.
be honest in your pet postings about breeds, ages, and all other information,
and, when dealing with adopters, please disclose any known health or behavior
- Adopt-a-Pet.com does not allow users to require an application fee of adopters
who find them via Adopt-a-Pet.com. (An application fee is
a non refundable fee charged to submit an application to adopt a pet,
even if the application is not approved or the submitter does not
adopt.) We do allow users to charge an adoption fee.
- If you maintain multiple shelter accounts/locations on Adopt-a-Pet.com, please do not post the same pets within 250 miles of each other.
- Your organization may only post pets that are directly in your care, or that you've received permission to post. If you are posting pets cared for by another organization or individual without their permission, and they bring it to our attention, we will require you to remove those postings or risk having your account suspended.
- From time to
time, we need to email our shelter and rescue partners to notify you about changes
to the site, important new features, and other relevant information. By signing
up to post pets for adoption on our site, you agree to receive these emails from us.
Please note that we will never sell or rent your information to
"spammers" or other third parties.
- Grounds for removal of your shelter or rescue
from the site include defrauding a potential adopter financially or otherwise,
making dishonest claims, conviction of animal cruelty, neglect, or
related crimes, and violating the terms of any adoption contract you
provide an adopter. We reserve the right to remove accounts for other
serious reasons at our sole discretion, including a lack of following
By signing up to post pets for adoption on Adopt-a-Pet.com, you
are agreeing that Adopt-a-Pet.com staff, donors, funders, board
members or sponsors are not responsible for any issues that may arise
out of contact you have with anyone as a result of your organization
or your pets being listed on our site.