A 11116 Fairfax Station Road, Fairfax Station, VA 22039 rescue helping to find loving homes for dogs, cats.
1 - 20 of 236 Adoptable Pets at This Shelter
Homeward Trails in based in Fairfax Station, VA, but serves the greater Washington DC metro area. We rescue homeless dogs and cats from mostly rural, underserved shelters where euthanasia rates are high and adoptions are low.
Homeward Trails seeks to find permanent adoptive homes in the Mid-Atlantic Region for dogs and cats from under resourced shelters or whose owners can no longer care for them. In so doing, we seek to reduce the rate of euthanasia of adoptable animals through the rescue and placement of homeless animals; to support proactive spay/neuter practices; to promote positive and ongoing behavioral training; and to educate the public about how to care for their animals in a humane way. Homeward Trails not only facilitates adoptions from local shelters, but also supports a large network of foster care providers who take homeless dogs and cats into their homes, care for them, rehabilitate them when needed, and prepare them for their permanent adoptive homes.
Sadly, without our help, all of these adoptable animals would face almost certain euthanasia - usually within days or hours of our rescuing them. Each year we take in hundreds of wonderful animals who were left at shelters through no fault of their own.
Many are puppies and kittens – innocent victims of irresponsible pet owners who don’t spay/neuter. Some are abandoned hunting dogs who served their owners well and were dumped in woods or left at shelters when they were no longer wanted. Others are house pets whose owners simply grew tired of caring for them or moved and did not take them along. And even more are animals that have been injured, abused and neglected. Whatever the reasons, these animals all deserve better. And once with Homeward Trails, they get better!
1. To always operate in the best interest of the animals we take into our program and to advocate for the proper care of those in shelters and in private homes;
2. To provide quality care for the animals we take in for as long as they are in our program and to provide ongoing support to our adopters;
3. To always maintain a manageable number of animals in our system whereby we can ensure proper medical care, behavioral training and housing for the animals;
4. To rescue the widest array of dogs and cats by avoiding general discrimination based on breed, age, and health;
5. To provide our shelter partners and their communities with resources that will result in the highest level of care for their animals, an increase in spay/neuter surgeries and a decrease in the abuse, neglect and abandonment of dogs and cats;
6. To treat our volunteers, adopters and partners with understanding, patience and support
Homeward Trails has dog and cat adoption events throughout the DC area. For a list of our upcoming events, go to:
COME MEET ADOPTABLE DOGS EVERY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY from 10AM - 4PM at the Homeward Trails Adoption Center- 11116 Fairfax Station Road, Fairfax Station VA 22039! **Note that puppies are in foster homes, not at the Adoption Center.