Andy is available for adoption! He is SPECIAL NEEDS and is a really loving, happy, goofball-of-a-guy kind of dog. We've enjoyed getting to know him while he's healed here.
Andy has come a LONG way!!!! He successfully fought the infection, now has proper weight, he's a good boy around the house, he can control his urinating again (yay!), he still bumps into things occasionally because he's blind in one eye, but he is an openly happy, playful dog. He has one issue that makes him special needs - we don't know if it was the infection, being hit by the car, or perhaps a nerve was touched during the tail surgery, but the sphincter muscle is just a tad lax. So occasionally a poop nugget falls out. There are gadgets on the market that may help catch the stray brown marbles. It's been suggested that laser or acupuncture may help. There are diapers. Clean up has not been difficult - he sleeps at night in a large plastic crate and it takes less than five minutes to clean in the morning. He loves being indoors (wouldn't you after having been through so much outdoors?) and exploring the house. He enjoys spending time with you in the yard or garden and taking walks.
We hope someone can respect the horrible hardship he's endured, open their heart, fall in love with him, support him, and make him their forever family. He's a great guy who's been through so much - he deserves a great life with a wonderful forever family!
General Adoption Policies:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to filling out an application. Please do not call or text.
- Let us know if you're just shopping around with several shelters and rescues.
- Application approvals can take up to 1 week.
- No young children for our adoptions please.
- Current pets must be disclosed and discussed prior to adoption.
- If you have current pets, an introduction is required prior to adoption.
- An adoption is not finalized until there has been an introduction to the home/home visit to ensure it is a good fit.
- Young dog/puppy, young cat/kitten adoptions require you to already have another dog/cat in the home.
- We only adopt to Central ABQ, Santa Fe, Los Alamos and Rio Rancho - no out of area adoptions.
- We appreciate staying in touch periodically - social media, pics, holiday cards, videos, etc. :)
- We follow COVID-19 safety practices including masks, social distancing, hand washing and sanitation.
- We are not conducting adoption events.
- A zoom meeting or phone call will be required for all adoptions.
- We are not conducting in-person home inspections prior to adoption, so pics/videos of your home and pet living & sleeping areas, gates/fencing/yard and current pets are required for application approval instead.
- If your application is approved, we will bring the animal to your house to do an introduction to the family, home and current pets. We will wait outside and speak via phone/video to ensure there are no issues before officially approving the adoption.
- You need to follow our instructions to introduce the new pet to your existing pets, and take precautions and responsibility if any issues come up between your pet and the new pet you are introducing.
- If an altercation were to occur during introduction, you must be capable of separating the animals and you are responsible for any veterinary/medical care and expenses to you/your pet. Masks will be required for both parties.
- We are no longer able to do multi-dog/cat meet & greets or bring multiple animals to your house to choose from. Maximum pet intro now is limited to two.
- To limit exposure during this pandemic we appreciate if you would make your decision to adopt during our meet and greet.