Dog adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
Columbia, SC 29229
Pets at Our Rescue Group:
Cities, Towns, and/or Counties We Serve:Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina
About Our Rescue Group:Greyhound Lifesavers Inc, consists of greyhound owners from Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. We are dedicated to finding homes for retired racing greyhounds. We have extensive experience in caring for greyhounds and we love matching people and greyhounds. We work with greyhound farms and adoption representatives at several Florida racing tracks to place dogs in desperate need of a loving home. Are you our next GL home? Contact us if you can open your home to a retired racing greyhound - you won't be sorry.
We place each "fresh from service" greyhound into a foster home for a minimum of three weeks to ease the transition from living in a kennel to living in a home.
During that time, each of our greyhounds receives a thorough veterinary exam that includes shots, heartworm testing, teeth cleaning, and spay/neuter service. We also micro-chip each dog.
We then test to see if the greyhound is cat-safe, small dog safe, and child-safe. We want these greyhounds to succeed in their new homes.
Greyhounds placed through Greyhound Lifesavers Inc. of Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina are usually between two and six years of age. Most females weigh between 55 and 65 pounds, while males weigh between 65 and 85 pounds. They stand from 26-29 inches at the shoulder and come in a variety of colors. Greyhounds are ideal house pets because they are a clean breed known for having short hair with little shedding, little odor, and they are housetrained.
Come Meet our Pets:Go to http://www.greyhoundlifesavers.org/events.htm to see times and locations for our many Meet & Greets in North Carolina, South Carolina ,and Georgia.
Our Adoption Process:Our application process is:
1. Fill out an application and send it with a $25.00 application processing fee* to the point of contact on the application.
2. You will be contacted by our home visit coordinator, and she/he will arrange for someone to meet you at your home to discuss greyhound care and check your home for features that may be relevant for the selection of a pet, (i.e. stairs, sliding glass doors), and for issues that may be disadvantageous for adopting.
3. After the home visit, presuming you are still interested and the home visit person(s) recommend that you get a dog, we will identify a dog that meets your needs (i.e. cat safe, small child safe, small dog safe, etc.).
4. After selecting a dog, we will co-ordinate the adoption time with your family. Please remember we are ALL volunteers.
5. We prefer that you allow a minimum of a three week adjustment period after the adoption to permit the dog to adjust to your home environment.
The adoption fee is $225. This fee covers medical and fostering expenses for the dogs. Each of our greyhounds receives a thorough veterinary exam that includes shots, heartworm testing, teeth cleaning, and spay/neuter service.We also Micro-chip each dog.
The other requirement for adopting is that you read the book "Adopting the Racing Greyhound" by Cynthia Branigan. This book is an interesting read and will give you information that will be very helpful once you get your dog. If you purchase through our link to Amazon we will receive a percentage of the sale.