Independent Animal Rescue, Inc
Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
PO Box 14232
Durham, NC 27709
Pets at Our Rescue Group:
Cities, Towns, and/or Counties We Serve:Independent Animal Rescue is an organization of volunteer foster homes, located primarily in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of North Carolina. Due to the nature of our adoption process, we can only consider applications for homes located within 60 miles of the Triangle area.
About Our Rescue Group:
IAR started with one woman's big dreams, a bigger heart, and a very distinctive purple pickup truck that helped her rescue countless numbers of unwanted, abused, and homeless Triangle pets. Originally founded in 1994, IAR earned an official 501 (c)(3) status in 1995. IAR is currently governed by a Board of Directors, managed by elected officers, and supported by over 100 unpaid volunteers. There are no paid positions within IAR, so 100% of all donations directly support animal care and rehabilitation.
Our mission is to rescue and provide safe and responsible care for homeless, abandoned, and abused animals. We shall strive to help all animals in need through our service programs. We will serve our communities through promotion of spay or neuter for all companion animals, and the education of children and adults in the humane care, respect and responsibility for animals on this earth.
At IAR, we believe that the welfare of animals is paramount. We feel that we can alleviate problems associated with animal overpopulation and abandonment using a 4-pronged approach: (1) Rescue and adoption of unwanted and abused animals; (2) funding of spay/neuter; (3) education and outreach on animal welfare to our youngest members of the community; and (4) legislation and lobbying efforts on behalf of animals.
Donate to Our Rescue Group...http://www.animalrescue.net/donate
Come Meet our Pets:Our wonderful IAR cats and kittens are out and about greeting folks at the Durham Petsmart (Patterson Place) and Petco (South Square) locations almost every Saturday and Sunday (1pm-5pm). In addition, some of our cats are housed at these stores for short durations. You can visit these kitties anytime during store hours! If you see a kitty that you'd like to meet and possibly adopt, please fill out an online application at www.animalrescue.net. We will be in touch shortly!
IAR dogs and puppies are available for "meet and greet" at the Durham Petsmart (Patterson Place) on the first and third Sundays each month (2pm-4pm). Please check our calendar for specific dates and locations where you may meet your new best friend!
Our Adoption Process:Adoption Requirements
- 20-year commitment to the animal
- You may not be an undergraduate student or member of the military
- You must be a US citizen
- You must allow a home visit (an IAR volunteer to visit your home prior to adoption.)
- Fill out an adoption interest application HERE or call us at 919-403-2221. A volunteer will contact you shortly to discuss your application.
- Our goal is finding lifelong, loving homes for our animals, so we try to find the best match between animal and adopter. We can help advise you on which animals to meet based on your situation.
- You can meet some of our animals at our monthly adoption fairs, or we can arrange for a meeting in the foster home. If itís a good match, the foster parent will come to visit your home in person. This is to make sure your home is safe and secure for a new companion animal.
- Note: IAR makes every effort to please our adopters, but our first concern must be for the animalís welfare. We reserve the right to deny any application.
Cat Adoption Fees
- Cats and kittens: $100
- Senior (7 years and older) and/or special needs cats: $50
- Pairs of cats or kittens adopted together: $150 for the pair ($100 plus $50).
Dog Adoption Fees
- Dogs and puppies: $150
- Senior (7 years and older) and/or special needs dogs: $75
- Pairs of dogs or puppies adopted together: $225 for the pair ($150 plus $75)