Dog adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
Our volunteers have extensive rescue experience working with the Doberman Pinscher breed, have assisted with the successful placement of hundreds of Dobes, and have come together to strengthen the rescue network. Our foster homes are comprised of experienced and loving volunteers. All potential adopters are fully evaluated, including home visit and background check. We follow up with each adopter, and require that in the event an adopter can no longer care for the dog, it be returned to DRAW so we can ensure each dog’s safety and happiness throughout their life.
1. Commitment - Please seriously consider your lifetime commitment to a dog and confirm that the Doberman breed is a good fit for your life and family before adopting.
2. Adoption Application - Complete and return the adoption application.
3. Home Visit & Vet Check - A volunteer will contact you and schedule an appointment to visit your home. The purpose of this visit is to verify the information you provided in your application (i.e., fenced-in yard, crate, etc.) and to ensure that we are matching you with the correct Rescue Doberman for your home environment. We request all members be present at the home visit. A vet reference check will also be completed. (Please note that the adoption process CANNOT be completed until a home visit has been performed).
4. Application Decision – If the steps above are satisfactory, your application will be approved. We reserve the right to refuse an applicant if, in our judgment, the home situation is not compatible with the needs of a Doberman, if the breed is not suitable for the applicant, if the applicant has a criminal record or if the vet check is not satisfactory.
5. Determine Potential Matches - After the home visit & vet check, if your application is approved, you will be contacted by an Adoption Coordinator who will discuss available dogs that may be a good match for you.
6. Meet Potential Matches - Your Adoption Coordinator will then schedule a time for you to meet potential matches. It may take some time to find the right dog for you, and we will do our best to continue the search for a compatible dog.
7. Adoption Contract & Donation - You will be required to complete an Adoption Contract at the time of adoption. An adoption donation of $250 for dogs under eight/$150 for dogs over eight is requested at the time of the adoption. This donation helps reimburse DRAW for costs incurred on behalf of the rescue dogs. Under special circumstances, we potentially could lower this fee (i.e., elderly/special needs dogs, etc.). All adoption fees should be made payable to Doberman Rescue Alliance of Wisconsin, Inc.
8. Follow Up – An Adoption Coordinator will contact you post-adoption to confirm you and your new family member are happy. If, for any reason, the adoption is not satisfactory, Doberman Rescue Alliance of Wisconsin requires that the dog be returned to DRAW. DRAW retains the right to reclaim any rescue dog that is neglected, improperly cared for, or allowed to roam free.
Why should you adopt?
Dog adoption and cat adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog or adopt a cat and you'll have a friend for life! What is the difference between adopting a dog or puppy versus getting dogs for sale or puppies for sale from a dog breeder? When someone is breeding puppies, they are creating new dogs who need homes. Some people are interested in a very specific breed of dog or puppy and they think the only way to find that specific breed is to buy a dog for sale from a puppy breeder. Yet animal shelters are filled with dogs who must find homes. So rather than buying a dog or puppy for sale from a dog breeder, we encourage people to adopt a dog or adopt a puppy at their local animal shelter, SPCA, humane society or pet rescue group.