About Our Rescue Group...
Our mission at Advocates 4 Animals Feline Rescue & Rehabilitation, Inc. is to implement our three step process of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Adoption Preparation - to save homeless, stray, and unwanted felines within our local community. Our 3 Step Process includes the following:
- Rescue: We receive our rescue information from a multitude of sources. Once the information is gathered as to the location of the stray or homeless feline, we will develop a strategic plan of action to aide in the rescue of the feline. The plan of action will differ depending on the severity of the situation, location, number of felines, and time frame.
- Rehabilitation: This is the most extensive and most important aspect of our 3-step process. Once the feline is safely rescued and in our care, we will spend 1-3 days evaluating both physical and mental trauma. Our evaluation sheet will allow us to review all aspects of the felines mental and physical health as well as provide documentation for any potential investigations (i.e. animal abuse). Once the feline has been evaluated, the physical healing begins - we will have all felines spayed/neutered, vaccinated, treated for fleas and worms and have an overall general health check completed by the Veterinarian. Our felines are fed organic and high quality foods that include a diet of low carbohydrate/high protein for optimal physical performance - we strive to maintain a diet that emulates the felines carnivorous needs. Once the physical bill of health has been cleared, we begin what we consider the most important and intensive aspect of this process - the emotional healing. It is our responsibility to undo what trauma, terror, and injustice has been done to the felines in our care. The emotional healing process may take 1 week upwards to years to fully rehabilitate the mind and teach the feline trust, security, and basic socialization skills. The process is different for each feline, depending on the severity of the trauma. We do not push the felines as it is important to allow them to heal in their own time. By providing an open, cage free environment, felines are able to establish emotional stability much easier than in the confines of a caged environment. We believe in whole health, meaning mind, body and spirit work in tandem to create a level and balanced life. Once the feline assumes balanced behavior, they are prepared for the next step.
Adoption Preparation: We strive to ensure all of our felines have undergone adequate socialization skills, maintain balanced energy behaviors, and are physically prepared for their adoption day. Once the felines are cleared for adoption, they are photographed and videotaped to show potential adopters their personalities and physical features. An adoption committee will then review all potential adopters and select the most appropriate forever home for the feline. The Adoption day for the feline is why we do what we do - to witness both the physical and emotional transformation of a once forgotten and thrown-away sole is a remarkable experience, and one that will continue to marvel us regardless of how many transformations we witness.
Who We Are:
Advocates 4 Animals was founded by a small group of friends who share the passion of ending pet overpopulation and providing homes for rescue and homeless pets. We have informally been rescuing animals and spaying/neutering for over a decade and decided it was time to expand our efforts. Through donations, community support and the combined efforts of our volunteer group, we are able to reach many more animals in need.
Our Adoption Process...
1. Please complete the online adoption application for approval with our Board of Directors - turn around time is usually within 24 hours.
2. If approved, an Advocates 4 Animals member will contact you and schedule a "meet & greet" with the adoptable pet to be held in your home if located within our 20 mile radius.
3. At that time of the home visit, we will access if the pet(s) is a good match for both the family/individual adopting the pet and the home environment.
-All individuals living in the home must agree to adopt the pet into their home. All members of the home should be present during the "meet & greet"-- including additional pets who live in the home.
-If Advocates 4 Animals determines that the pet is not a good fit for the potential adopter, this will be discussed at the time of the home visit.
-Every pet is different. Some pets have highly specialized needs (ie: type of environment, other pets, etc.) while others adjust easily to various environments. Felines typically take 2+ weeks to begin adjusting to their new home. All pets have been housed in foster homes while they wait to find a home to call their very own. All adoptable rescue pets are up to date on shots, treated for the prevention of ear mites, fleas and worms and have been spayed/neutered.
-Advocates 4 Animals requires a minimum adoption donation fee of $75.00. The adoption donation assists us in rescuing and rehabilitating additional homeless pets. Our organization is run solely on donations and with volunteers. Without your support we could not continue our efforts!