Other Pets at Shelter...
Kasey is one of the Standardbreds that was rescued from slaughter from New Jersey. She's 20-years-old, and was a broodmare, and before that she raced as a trotter. She is sweet tempered and nicely mannered. She is being started under saddle and has been doing a wonderful job. She's been rode all over SHARE property and in the surrounding fields and she is a really good girl. She'll go through anything and doesn't do anything stupid or mean-spirited under saddle. She trots and canters easily and seems to enjoy riding around outside. She does get a little nervous in an arena but we think that's just showing her preference to be a laid back trail horse for someone.
Kasey's adoption fee is $500 and she's eligible for our Seniors for Seniors program--reduced adoption fee for people 55+ adopting horses who are 20+ years old or pasture pets.
For more info on Kasey, visit her Updates page.
Adopters must be 21 or older, if you are under 18, please have a parent contact us as our adoption agreement is a legal agreement which must be made with an adult. We do welcome volunteers of any age, those under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. For more information visit our website at http://www.s-h-a-r-e.net to review our Adoption Requirements or fill out an Application.
Rescue Group Info...
Our mission is to maintain the integrity, well-being, and health of hooved animals through education first.
SHARE is a nonprofit humane society established in 2005 in the Champaign area. We have investigators that cover a large portion of Illinois.
At SHARE, our goal is to help equines trapped in situations of abuse and starvation. It is also our wish as well to educate horse owners on how to properly care for their horses.
The humane society offers to help educate owners on the proper daily care and maintenance; vetting and hoof care as well as nutrition and emergencies. The society also rescues severely neglected horses and provides rehabilitation services and placement through adoption.
This is not an easy task; many volunteers are needed in order to provide this care and support. There are many people who are not aware of hooved animals that are abused and neglected. SHARE would like to inform people about this
Call and make an appointment to come visit the horses at S.H.A.R.E.
1. You must live in Illinois or close neighboring state.
2. Must own the property where the horse will be kept.
3. Must provide a letter of recommendation from your veterinarian and one from your farrier if you are now a horse owner. If you do not have a farrier, a letter from another person will suffice.
4. You must visit the horse to see if you are a match with the particular horse you wish to adopt.
5. We will visit your facility to see the facility and your animals.
6. If you continue with the adoption, you will be required to pay an adoption fee which is set by the board of directors for each animal. We will continue to inspect the animal for two years.
7. If at any time the animal is not being properly cared for SHARE has the right to seize the animal.
8. You are NEVER allowed to sell the animal to slaughter. We ALWAYS have first right of refusal if you decide not to keep the animal.
9. You must keep the animal for at least two years or it reverts to SHARE.
Adoption Fees vary from animal to animal depending on the skill sets of each individual horse, starting at about $450.00 dollars. Each individual animal will have the adoption fee posted on it's profile, or view our website!
Central Illinois, Champaign County and surrounding states.