Hello! My name is Sierra
I am a special needs pet, up to date with shots, and good with kids.
In July 2011, SHARE went back to the nurse mare farm with a local family who were willing to take on some nurse mares home to raise themselves. There we met Sierra, and the owner said she was going to go straight to slaughter because she was mean. Sierra bore the evidence--injuries on her forehead where she had been hit with a 2x4.
In reality, Sierra is sweet and a little bit shy. She really has had no training, so she has no manners, but she's definitely not a mean horse. She's pregnant and will be having a March 2012 baby. Most likely she will stay at SHARE to have her foal and then they'll be adopted out separately, but she is available for adoption now to a well-prepared home who can get her through foaling and raise her baby OK. A qualified foster homes would be appreciated too! Contact us if you think you can help. Her adoption fee is $500.
Keep up to date on Sierra on her Updates page.
Help this Rescue Group by making a donation.
Rescue Group Info...
Our mission is to maintain the integrity, well-being, and health of hooved animals through education first.
SHARE is a nonprofit humane society established in 2005 in the Champaign area. We have investigators that cover a large portion of Illinois.
At SHARE, our goal is to help equines trapped in situations of abuse and starvation. It is also our wish as well to educate horse owners on how to properly care for their horses.
The humane society offers to help educate owners on the proper daily care and maintenance; vetting and hoof care as well as nutrition and emergencies. The society also rescues severely neglected horses and provides rehabilitation services and placement through adoption.
This is not an easy task; many volunteers are needed in order to provide this care and support. There are many people who are not aware of hooved animals that are abused and neglected. SHARE would like to inform people about this
Call and make an appointment to come visit the horses at S.H.A.R.E.
1. You must live in Illinois or close neighboring state.
2. Must own the property where the horse will be kept.
3. Must provide a letter of recommendation from your veterinarian and one from your farrier if you are now a horse owner. If you do not have a farrier, a letter from another person will suffice.
4. You must visit the horse to see if you are a match with the particular horse you wish to adopt.
5. We will visit your facility to see the facility and your animals.
6. If you continue with the adoption, you will be required to pay an adoption fee which is set by the board of directors for each animal. We will continue to inspect the animal for two years.
7. If at any time the animal is not being properly cared for SHARE has the right to seize the animal.
8. You are NEVER allowed to sell the animal to slaughter. We ALWAYS have first right of refusal if you decide not to keep the animal.
9. You must keep the animal for at least two years or it reverts to SHARE.
Adoption Fees vary from animal to animal depending on the skill sets of each individual horse, starting at about $450.00 dollars. Each individual animal will have the adoption fee posted on it's profile, or view our website!
Central Illinois, Champaign County and surrounding states.