Did you know that more pets are lost in the USA on the 4th of July than any other day of the year? Combine fireworks with friends and family gatherings with their comings and goings accidentally leaving doors and gates open, and even the most sedate well-behaved pet can freak out or get disoriented and in a flash be lost. This is a great time of year to make sure all your pets have up-to-date microchips and pet ID tags, and to keep your pets safely and securely inside your home. Here are our top 5 favorite pet preparation tips so you and your pets can have a safe and happy fourth of July!
1. Prepare in advance by making sure your pets microchips and ID tags have your current telephone numbers, and numbers of emergency contacts in case you can’t be reached.
2. Younger or energetic dogs may benefit from some exercise early in the day, when it’s cool, to help drain their energy in a productive way.
3. Before the fireworks start, secure your pets inside.
4. Close windows and doors so pets don’t push through screens, and to muffle outside noise.
5. Play music or turn on the TV to mask outside noise.
We have even more tips to help your pets happily enjoy the independence day holiday! Check out our help articles from year’s past: