Our Featured Silver Spring, MD Partner:
Akita Rescue Mid-Atlantic Coast, Inc.
Silver Spring, MD 20192
Dog adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog and you'll have a friend for life!
Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.
Pets at Our Rescue Group:
Cities, Towns, and/or Counties We Serve:
Washington DC Metro Area, Virginia, Maryland, southeastern Pennsylvania, eastern West Virginia
Akita Rescue Mid-Atlantic Coast, Inc. (ARMAC), founded in 1984, is one of the oldest Akita rescues in the United States. ARMAC is run solely by volunteers and all funding comes from private donations for the general public. ARMAC fulfills a wide variety of Akita needs in the greater Washington DC area. It educates and offers support to Akita owners, not only those who adopt from ARMAC, but all Akita owners regardless of where they got their Akita. But most importantly, ARMAC saves the lives of Akitas that would otherwise be euthanized in area shelters. All of ARMAC's fostered Akitas are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, micro chipped, tattooed and temperament evaluated prior to adoption. Potential adopters are screened carefully and thoroughly to ensure there is a perfect match between family and Akita. ARMAC's assistance doesn't stop at adoption. ARMAC offers support to its adoptive families throughout the lifetime of their Akita. ARMAC's goal is to avoid Akitas ever being given-up in the first place by educating the public about the breed, its history, and the many challenges that Akita ownership brings with it.
Donate to Our Rescue Group...
Our Adoption Process:
* ARMAC normally will not place an Akita into a home that is more than 5 hours driving distance from the DC metro area.
* Prior experience with a large dominant breed is preferred, but not required.
* ARMAC normally will not place an Akita into a home with children under the age of 12 unless we are positive that the Akita adores children.
* A securely fenced yard or kennel run is preferred, but many adopted orphans have been excellent apartment dwellers.
* If you rent your home, ARMAC will require a copy of your lease to ensure that it allows for large dogs.
* Personal references are required and will be contacted.
* A vet reference is required if currently own pets or have owned pets in the past, please contact your vet and give them permission to speak with one of the ARMAC representatives.
* Please make sure you answer all questions on the adoption application, incomplete applications will not be processed.
* A home visit is required, all family members must be present.
* It is mandatory that all prospective adopters read our Information Package prior to adoption.
* The application process can take anywhere from one week to six weeks depending upon reference checks, etc.
* Adoption fee is required.