(when grown) Small 25 lbs (11 kg) or less
Spayed or Neutered,
In addition to the following profile for this dog, please first read the Adoption Information at http://www.shihtzurescuemn.org/adopt.html to understand the process, requirements and timeline for adoption. An adoption application can also be found in the Adoption Info section. If, after reading that information, you have any questions, please submit your question via e-mail and it will be answered. Please do not request a phone call. A personal phone call will only be made when an adoption application has been submitted and the foster parent wishes to consider the application. Thank you!
Sweetie is a 10 pound Shih Tzu mix who is just less than a year old. It is no surprise that she is named Sweetie, because she is just as sweet as can be. Sweetie came into rescue when her owner could no longer care for her. Unfortunately, she had been very neglected. She received little attention and had, in fact, never even been groomed. Her coat was very matted, and being groomed for the first time in her life was very traumatic for her. She will be fearful of grooming for a while, but once she is groomed on a regular basis, she will most likely get used to it. But for the next several groomings she will need the understanding of a patient groomer.
Sweetie is a little wary of strangers, and may retreat from them until she gets to know them. But once she recognizes you, and decides you’re okay, she will shower you with enthusiasm and attention. She wants to be held, but she is so excited and it will involve lots of stroking, ear massaging, petting and moving around in your arms. She is not a quiet, calm, lay at your side type of lap dog.
Sweetie will entertain herself throwing her toys and squeaking them. Having someone in the home who will interact and play with her would be even more fun for her. She also loves to sprint around in her foster mom's fenced yard, so having a secure fenced yard in which she can explore and run would be great.
Even though Sweetie is a young, energetic dog, she is quiet most of the time and does not bark much. She sleeps with her foster mom and Shih Tzu foster brother, together in their “big bed”. Sweetie’s foster mom is helping her with house training, but her new adopter(s) must continue to work with Sweetie, which will include sticking to a regular schedule and taking her out frequently, as well as daily walks in order for her to be fully trained.
These are the requirements for Sweetie’s new family:
• Sweetie should be the sole dog in the family, because she craves attention and would prefer not to share it with another dog.
• A fenced yard would be ideal because she truly enjoys running around in the yard. This is not a deal breaker if her new family is able and willing to take her on a couple long, brisk walks every day so that she gets plenty of exercise.
• Sweetie prefers to have company all the time, so her new family will be with her most of the time.
• Sweetie is a very young dog who could likely live another 15 years. For this reason, we will only accept applications from age appropriate individuals who will be able to care for her for the rest of her life.
• Sweetie may enjoy being around children over the age of ten who have the energy to play with her and keep her busy. But she is very tiny so the children must be experienced with small dogs and understand how to appropriately and carefully play with them.
• The adopter should live within 75 miles of New Brighton, MN.
Sweetie is current on vaccinations, microchipped and on heartworm and flea/tick preventative. She will be spayed on November 15th. Sweetie has cherry eye in both eyes, and will be having surgery to repair this on November 29th. She will be available for adoption after a brief recovery from the eye surgery. Sweetie's adoption fee is $470.00 plus $40.07 sales tax for a total of $510.07.
To meet Sweetie, please complete an adoption application at the website listed in the first paragraph. Or you can also see her and the other dogs available for adoption from Shih Tzu Rescue of Minnesota by visiting with us from 10:00 AM to 12:00 noon the first Saturday of every month at Chuck and Don’s at 6821 York Avenue South, Edina near Southdale.